2 gamers 1 CPU, his/hers build

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Support.2@XOTIC PC, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hi!

So after 5 long years, I have finally succeeded in getting my Fiance into playing World of Warcraft. The issue is... We only have 1 PC at home. So instead of buying a second PC, I'm thinking about trying a "2 gamers 1 CPU" thing, similar to this video:

It's going to cost at least $2,400, but it's still cheaper than having two separate machines. (I'm also selling my old rig for about $750 so that'll help)

The idea is to have 2 Virtual Machines running at all times, and as you can see from the video posted above, with very little compromise to performance. Here's my list of specs from pcpartpicker.com:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfMsm8

I know I could save a few bucks by downgrading to 1060 GPUs but WoW isn't the only games that will be played. (And lets face it, you can run WoW on a potato!)

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts on my build? Anything I should add/change?

wyvernV2 and Jarhead like this.
  2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I never really trusted VM other then testing purpose. For Hardcore you should see if your motherboard is a Dual Processor and get two GPU 1080ti maybe that will make a truly gaming rig that is multitasking and dual purpose since you have two CPU and two GPU that can processes independently. That's my vision of dual computing.

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I'll be interested in how this works out. While "playable" I haven't had any success with a VM that actually feels snappy and low latency.

What resolution will you be playing on? A 1060 is still killer for 1080p, so are you going above that? Those are all pretty nice parts you have picked out there. The watercooler is the only thing that really isn't great value compared to the best aircoolers, but I don't think I'd change anything else. (Unless maybe the ram, does giving each machine 1 16GB stick impact performance compared to 2 8GB sticks?)

Either way, I wanna see how this turns out, looks pretty awesome!

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

I'll be playing on a 1080p screen, using Nvidia DSR at 1440p.
    I could definitely get-by with a 1060, but if I'm getting a whole new rig, I might as well go for a 1070 since my current GPU is a 980Ti. I'm really excited to build this!

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    Galm likes this.
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    True why downgrade if your used to a 980 Ti. (Plus maybe you can use it in sli when just one of you are using it?)

TomJGX likes this.
  7. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Wow, that is a GREAT deal. Thanks!! I am a little worried though with EVGA's recent overheating issues...

8. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    well, their customer service is supposed to be "legendary" so i don't think u should have any problems.

plus, their 1070's/1080's from recent build dates are supposed to come with the thermal pads. if not, u can send them back for EVGA to install or request them to send u some of those thermal pads for free.

TomJGX likes this.
  9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Indeed... All the ones currently being sold should be fixed... Also issue is more with the FTW edition tbh and not really the other ones!

10. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    You probably haven't used a hypervisor then. VMs can be just as stable as bare metal.

@OP: That looks like a great build, I don't have any suggestions for improvements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.