2 Cycle Engine gas/oil ratios question

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by MGS2392, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    So my garbage Homelite blower stopped working. Splurged a bit, and picked up a Stihl, which has a nice punch. However, the shop owner I purchased it from said something that I've never heard before (paraphrased below)...

Quite honestly, I'm not so sure what to feel about this... It's the first time I've heard it, but also, it's the first higher end blower I've ever bought. All my equipment at home says to use a 50:1 mix, including my new Stihl blower. Should I switch to 32:1, or use 50:1 as specified? And I suppose brand name oil is a must?

2. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, the EPA, and government in general is known for doing stuff like that, so it doesn't surprise me one bit if it is true. It also isn't like the shop owner has anything to gain by lying to you. I've always mixed in a little more oil, but just to be on the safe side. I can't said I've about this though.

3. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    The "green" people don't want you burning oil. I always run 30:1 in all of my 2 stroke engines. Yeah, they smoke a bit but they still run ...

They are designed to burn some oil. As long as you're not putting in so much oil that it is plugging the carburetor or causing the engine to not run ... you should be okay.

4. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I always put extra oil in, just to see the thick, black smoke:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.