$2,500 budget

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by DusterTX, Aug 2, 2021.

1. DusterTX

DusterTX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $2,500 max

2) What size notebook would you prefer? C or D below. For the right specs, I'd be willing to go down to a 13" or all the way up to a 16." Nothing smaller than 13" and nothing bigger than 16".

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? U.S.A.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Apple, Dell
    b. Dislike: N/A - I haven't had enough experience on anything besides Apple & Dell to have any dislikes. I did use a really, really low-end Acer like 15 years ago and I didn't like it if that matters.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes, as long as warranty is not affected.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    - Both personal & work computer
    - Email, web surfing with multiple tabs open, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel
    - working in multiple large databases in Excel every day
    - 4K video playback & minor editing for fun (is 5K an option under this budget? I have a GoPro that can shoot in 4K and 5K).
    - watching movies on streams (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.)
    - connecting to a TV for movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) No, I will not be doing any gaming now or probably ever.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not super important at all. It will be sitting on my desk all day for at least 5 days a week. I bring my charger with me on trips, and really don't ever need it to be unplugged for very long. i.e. I don't go to coffee shops for hours on end without an outlet in sight...

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. I've been an Mac OS user for the last 11 years. I'm open to going back to Windows if needed.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) Ultra Resolution: 3K/4K (3200x1800, 3840x2160, etc)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Glossy/reflective

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I really hate running low on memory. I think I need at least 16GB, maybe 32GB.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Next few weeks

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? I tend to make them last 3-5 years or so....

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1 day max. I will be using it for work & personal.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Ship to vendor is fine.

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm..

Well, just about any laptop can be made into a 4K rig with a little effort and about $150. I converted mine from FHD >> 4K for about that price w/ shipping from CN for the panel / cable needed.

5K? *shrug* I haven't heard of that mentioned usually it's a jump to 8K but, I don't think there are many panels available at this point for higher than 4K.

I would pin down the CPU/GPU as those are usually the most important non-replaceable parts and make up 70% of the cost. Once you have that pinned down then finding something gets a bit easier.

4K upgrade on the panel will be easier on a 15.6" model as it's more common and there are more options.

Since you're not tied to an OS preference maybe consider *nix and load Windows / Mac into a VM for specific uses and roll w/ raw power for everything else.

As for machines... I would say anything 9th gen or newer is the objective for Intel due to Windows 11 requirements. GPU might be worth a splurge w/ heavier video editing / games. 2060 RTX or higher.

Clevo / Sager and a bunch of other no name devices are the best bang for the buck when it comes to HW as everything else just runs on them.
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/15-Inch-Gaming-Laptops/

3. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Meh.
    It sounds like you are going to be stuck using a Mac for the rest of your life.
    Every spec you listed sounds pretty straight from the Mac catalog, especially hard drive size of at least 16 gigs and maybe 32 ?
    I don't even want to know what 4k on a 15" glossy screen looks like ...........*shudder*

4. DusterTX

Reputations:
  5. DusterTX

Reputations:
    N2ishun - why would 4K on a glossy screen look bad? I’m genuinely asking, because this is new & I don’t know any better.

6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glossy = distracting like a mirror if you have stuff behind you moving around.

Glaze / anti-glare = less distracting

Pro's for photos use glossy for better visualization of the images but, most prefer the other in day to day use. Also, less fingerprints / smudges to deal with.

7. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw/PR7UdZ59e9OEvjICLDkaAW6BhZK6cpEsoi2MRj6PiYO3qXaH51r1Avb17hQ7CeNu5uuAndgUjcOc2AE5aeMQXA6/cBM/0ZDziOd4l1o9qprX9OvqOEuR0nzMcJn6WUwrOxfVg8bzpVVQuvcA7QoEvyAo3RdMnq2Mwu0knmC2LE1Z2aas5K9foN4LRWI=
    So far and gone better than the xps15 you spec'd out it isn't even funny
    RTS 3080, 8core I7, 2Tb nvme, 4K screen....and on and on.

EDIT:
    Either you snagged it or missed the deal, it's gone now.
    It was an Alienware 15" very fully spec'd out.
    Here's another with a RTX3080, 10870 cpu, 32 gig memory and 3 NVME drives.
    https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...icgarCfNSJbbcN/sFijCNFyoBcucOiyca72qahRjbJdCm

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    lol....had to laugh yeah id look into the aero 15 oled with 3080

DusterTX likes this.
  9. DusterTX

Reputations:
  10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations: