2.5" / 9.5mm hard drives OVER 1TB

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by spandexninja, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikebore

mikebore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is the business arm of PC World, very big in the UK and quite legit, I believe.

If you google "MQ01ABC150" and "shopping" it comes up at about 25 places.

2. spandexninja

spandexninja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like this is a fairly new drive, but everywhere else I'm reading says it's 12.7mm high not 9.5mm. Would I be able to fit this into the optical bay of the Sager NP9170 (same height but no room for caddy) ?
    ASCII.jp
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-MQ0...Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item564fef7478

3. mikebore

Reputations:
    I can't do Japanese, but these links have it at 9 or 9.5mm

Cleverboxes - MQ01ABC150 | Toshiba MQ01ABC150 2.5 inch 1500GB (5400rpm) 8MB Serial II Hard Drive (Internal)

http://www.morecomputers.com/spec.aspx?pn=MQ01ABC150

Toshiba PX1830E-1HK0

But this one has it at 12.5mm

The NEW MQ01ABC150 TOSHIBA 2.5" 1.5TB 5400RPM SATA available from BlueGoose

So something fishy going on.

4. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
  5. mikebore

Reputations:
  6. mikebore

Reputations:
    I ordered one from Morecomputers, and it came today.

It is 12.5mm !!

The MoreComputers web site says it is 9mm, as in the link I posted earlier, so no problem returning it.

I think the confusion is in the exact model number. The link you have given above is for model PX1830E-1HK0.

The one I have bought and originally suggested in the PC world link is MQ01ABC150

Haven't searched yet to see if the PX1830E-1HK0 is available yet.

There seem to be three part numbers for Toshiba 2.5in 1.5 TB drives which variously claim to be 9.5mm:

1. MQ01ABC150. This is what I received from MoreComputers and is definitely 12.5mm. The invoice also mentioned PX1830E-1HK0 which is probably why they are marketing it as a 9mm drive, believing they are the same thing. Other sellers seem to think that the MQ01ABC150 and PX1830E-1HK0 are the same thing.

2. PX1830E-1HK0. This what is in the link that "__-_-_-__" posted above, where it says 9.5mm, so presumably is correct since it is an actual Toshiba web page. Some of the confusion in 1. is probably because the Toshiba page describes the PX1830E-1HK0 as "MQ Series".

3. MQ01ABD150. I found this at Pixmania where it is definitely stated as 9.5mm. However the OWC site for the same part number has it as 12.5mm. I phoned Pixmania who spent an hour doing their own checks and came back to me saying they were now confused as well, having found half of their sources saying 9.5mm and half 12.5mm.

The above is what I think are the facts but I could be wrong. I have given up trying to buy one for now, believing that when the larger-than-1Tb barrier really is broken in a 9.5mm drive it won't be surrounded by this much confusion and misinformation.

7. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. 7hil

7hil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased the PX1830E-1HK0. This is the one that Toshiba's website have as 9mm so I' m waiting with baited breath. I won't get it for a while though as its being posted to family in the UK then they will be forwarding it to me in Australia.

Kikatek.com: (PX1830E-1HK0) Toshiba MQ01ABC150 2.5 inch 1500GB (5400rpm) 8MB Ser

Options and Accessories individual page - Toshiba

PS Was the drive itself labelled as "PX1830E-1HK0"? If so it could be that a 9.5mm version simply doesn't exist.

9. mikebore

Reputations:
    No, "PX1830E-1HK0' was not on the actual drive itself....but it was on the MoreComputers invoice etc. It seems that they (and other places) think that PX1830E-1HK0 is the manufacturer's part number for the MQ01ABC150 and MQ01ABD150, which is why they are describing it as 9.5mm.

I think you are right that the PX1830E-1HK0 doesn't exist yet. Presumably not far away in view of the Toshiba web page

10. 7hil

7hil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll let you know how I go with my purchase. Relative should get it within the week. I'll get him to check the height before shipping it to me. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.