17R3 unresponsive

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by radji, Jun 17, 2018.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Getting a strange behavior from my 17R3, right after a clean install no less.

I have it set to not go to sleep while on AC power, just turn off the screen after 5 minutes. Sometimes, the system will no longer respond after the screen is turned off. All the lights are still on, HDD indicator light will still flash occasionally. But it appears the system has crashed. Windows events state system has rebooted from a bugcheck. Only way to get it to respond is to press the power button (not press and hold) to shut it off then start up like normal.
    Any ideas?

2. Crazy Jay

Crazy Jay Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SSD as your boot drive?

3. radji

Reputations:
    Yup. Samsung 850 EVO m.2

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Crazy Jay

Reputations:
    You mean 860 Evo Right I don't recall 850 Evo M.2 Did you check your Samsung Drivers ?

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yep, there is known issue which I also faced. Sometimes it won't boot in AHCI with Linux and now its fine since pwr mgmt is disabled.
    It uses Intel IRST drivers.

6. Crazy Jay

Reputations:
    Im guessing its a driver issue with your M.2 have you tried the other M.2 slot?

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe IRST RAID/AHCI messed up?
    @radji can you make a recovery drive containing your BIOS as per this link *OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge
    Once you see options Reset BIOS and recovery option. Choose BIOS reset and see whether the issues is fixed or not!

8. radji

Reputations:
    No, Samsung EVO 850. It didn't use Samsung drivers. Just Intel RST.
    It boots fine. Just when the screen turns off after inactivity does it have this problem.
    Great idea. I never considered it to be the m.2 slot. I'll swap over to the other m.2 slot tonight and see if that makes a difference. Doesn't happen a lot so it may take a week or more to see if the problem still persists.

I hope Intel RST didn't get all screwed up. I just did a clean install last week and used the latest Intel RST drivers from the Dell website. Before I was using an older version of Intel RST. But I was also getting an increasing number of BSODs, courtesy of Microsoft and their half a**ed updates. I was having the non-responsive issue then too.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. radji

Reputations:
    No dice still. System still often freezes right after the screen turns off per the power settings. Using a different m.2 slot and different Intel RST drivers has not helped. I will try the BIOS recovery then swap the entire SSD for a different one. Running out of ideas, though.
    Now, my 840 Evo will boot just fine. It has issues when I leave it idle for a long time. Screen turns off after 10 minutes per the power policy and I have it set to never turn off the hard drives or go to sleep. Just one out of every three times the screen turns off the system freezes and has to be hard restarted.

10. radji

Reputations:
    Those instructions were for downgrading BIOS. Never done a BIOS recovery USB before so not sure if that is the correct procedure or not.