1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

17r N7010 - on startup, screen problem.

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by Golfleft, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Golfleft

Golfleft Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, new to the form.

I have a 17r that on start up, after being shut down for a couple of hours, the bottom 1" to 1.5" of the screen flickers white and you cant see the desktop under it. After about 3 to 5 minutes it gets smaller and disappears. Everything works fine, latest updates and drivers installed. Any thoughts?

First picture is right after pressing the power button, then after the desktop loads, then the bottom starts to clear and then clear and no issues.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It could be the Video Cable

Or the LCD Display

Or the GPU

Test it on an external monitor and see what happens.

If the picture is fine on the external monitor - points to a video cable or LCD screen

If the picture is crap points to the GPU

Also test on Battery and AC power....any change ?

You can try to re-seat the video cable - make sure power is off and battery removed.

3. Golfleft

Golfleft Newbie

Reputations:
    I will give it a go and follow up. Thanks.

Works find on the external monitor, while staying the same on the labtop monitor. No change either on AC or Battery.

4. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Down to the Video cable or the LCD display

I would lean towards the display,, but try reseating the video cable first, make sure all power is removed

If you not sure how, the complete service manual is on Dells site to view/down load

5. Golfleft

Golfleft Newbie

Reputations:
    Reseated the cables, same result. Ordered a new LED screen, will give that a try.
    Thanks for the help. I will post once the new screen arrives and is installed.

6. Golfleft

Golfleft Newbie

Reputations:
    Replaced the screen, works like a charm. Thanks for the help. Now if I could only find the LED fuse on a N4010, I would be happy!! :)