$1700 budget / can't complete my decision / Mech 15 vs Lenovo Y740

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by caledonianpiper, May 31, 2019.

?

Which would you suggest

Poll closed Jun 7, 2019.
  1. Lenovo Y740

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mech 15 G2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dell G5 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CUK Model Z

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clevo PB51EF-G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. caledonianpiper

caledonianpiper Newbie

Reputations:
    So it has been almost a decade since I searched for a new laptop and I feel like I am going mad. Probably like many before me I started with the big brand names, Lenovo, Dell, MSI, Razer. I kept almost choosing but then one thing would be missing at a price I could afford. After that I began to find the other brands Sager, Clevo, CUK, Eluktronics. My last PC was from cyberpower so I checked them out as well. I feel like I have gotten right to the end of my search and just can't make my final decision. Like everyone I want something that is going to last me a while, I am currently using an HP elitebook 8640p, that came off a ship after ending its service life in Antarctica (somehow it is still running most of creative suite but i can hear that it is near the end). I mostly want something powerful but not !!!!!GAMER!!!! and I am not a fan of the colour red. I would prefer for it to be light enough to carry without difficulty as I live between the US and UK and am often travelling. I used to insist on huge screens but I am now seeing the benefit of smaller screens if it makes the laptop smaller although I am not opposed to 17" if the chassis remains manageable size.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1700

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen or e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA (FL)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes for a very good deal

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? photoshop, after effects, premiere, sketchup. I would also like to get into gaming more.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both, I like to have it on my lap in the evenings while watching tv.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes I intend to do more gaming although at the moment my games are skyrim (heavily modded), AoE2, Anno series, and the like which I expect a modern machine to handle. I would like to get into playing more AAA games when I have a machine that can handle it so would like to aim for the RTX cards if possible.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 4+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? HD although I use it for graphic design i am not interested in the battery loss of a 4k screen so would rather avoid those. I would like to see the screen have a decent colour spectrum though. I like the idea of a 144hz screen.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Either

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, must be professional looking. I am not into bulky red lit machines. Ideally I am looking for somthing under 5.5lbs and with as little branding as possible. I like the idea of metal components as my current laptop is mostly metal.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 256GB on the boot drive preferably solid state. I would like to be able to add further space of at least 1TB and can handle doing that myself post purchase if it would be better value.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Soon

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 4yrs at least

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? however long required to get it fixed

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? happy to ship the laptop for repairs

Final Thoughts
    I am capable of handling installing ram and hardrives myself as I have seen in most cases it is better to simply purchase these after the fact. I would prefer not to deal with initial setup on my own though and so would like the machine to come ready to use out of the box even if I am then going to add to it.
    One thing that has been bothering me is return policies, what happens if I buy a laptop and realize after a day of use it isn't for me. Everywhere seems to talk about DOA and sealed box returns but if I open the box it appears I am then out of luck. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The following laptops are those I have narrowed down to although would be open to other suggestions:

Eluktronics Mech 15 G2 ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N76BGMR )- with this I am still trying to make up my mind on the options available. I am leaning towards the 15" 2060 with i7-9750H but am open to considering the 17". The price being so close for the i7-8750 and 2070 max q is making it hard as even with Bob's awesome video I still cant decide which would be better due to elektroboost. If I went for the 17" I suppose I would consider the full size 2070 with the i7-8750, i just worry that i am better with the ninth gen processor for my graphic work. I would like to buy on amazon as I have the prime card so the 5% cash back would make the current bundle offer even better although this removes the thermal paste option.

CUK Model Z ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9TX1V6 ) - this is my second choice at the moment partially because I can't find many details about the battery life or many other reviews. I am looking at the 15" 2060.

Lenovo Y740 - the big worry for me with this is the battery life seems particularly dire.

Dell G5 15 - something just keeps holding me back but i can't place what it is.

Clevo PB51EF-G (http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-pb51ef-g-rtx-2070.html)- This one seems interesting. It is on the higher end cost wise but I would be open to it if it is the best option.

Sager NP8966 (https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Sager-NP8966-Build&CartID=1)- This one is up there with the deals available on Gentech today making it cost effective to have the thermal upgrades. It is also available from Xotic PC but cost more for the same upgrades.

Truly thank you for any help you can give with this. I am so looking forward to being done with this search.

Last edited: May 31, 2019