17" with at least 1920 x 1200

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rjo88, May 20, 2018.

1. rjo88

rjo88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I currently have an early 17" 2011 Macbook Pro.
    This has a 1920 x 1200 screen over 17" which I think is ideal for the work I do on it.

Unfortunately these laptops have a limited life due to overheating burning out the GPU and as such many of them are for sale needing replacement MBs.
    Mine probably has limited life so I would like to get a replacement.

However it seems that apart from power consumption, the processor performance of modern CPUs aren't *massively* (many times) better that what I have (i7-2720QM )! Not what I would expect from 7 years of difference anyway.

So if I just settle for a similar CPU experience that I am used to, and considering that I am happy to replace drives with good SSD equivs and put in at least 16Gb of RAM myself, what would you suggest for a 17" laptop with at least 1920x1200 resolution that won't cost the Earth?

Also happy to buy old models that are 2nd hand.

Thanks in advance

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    nothing 16:10 anymore

Kent T and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Best to get QHD screen with 17" since anything lower will hurt your eyes. You can always scale down the resolution.
    You can see @Mobius 1 signature with Thinkpad p70 which is perfect and somewhat lighter for your work and I'm sure he can do mods which make the laptop last very long.

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    p71, not p70

p70 is older model with maxwell quadro and skylake cpu

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most modern low-end laptops have this (assuming 17' form factor)

6. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, after the M6500 Dell went to 16:9 screens rather than 16:10. The first generation processors (even i7-920XM) were a lot slower than their successors. Were it not for the 16:9 issue (and the fact that there were no higher resolution screens in 17" at the time) I might have gone with a Dell M6800. As it is, I went with a Thinkpad P70 (last fall) with a UHD screen.

The reason I went Lenovo rather than Dell is that the 7710/7720 only have one 2.5" bay; the Thinkpad has two (you can replace the optical drive with a second 2.5" drive). They're otherwise quite similar machines. You can probably find a little better deals on used/refurb with the P70 vs. the P71.

Vasudev likes this.