17 - R4 - 6820HK - 1070 - anything to look out for?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by allienhead191, Dec 23, 2017.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just for your information, i am from 84, i was overclocking Pentium 1's manually by placing jumpers on a motherboard.....

Also if you believe the gpu side doesnt add support, why would bent heatpipes affect the cooling then on the CPU site? Right because through the heatpipes rigidness the support is transferred, you have only a section of about 8mm where it is only heatpipe, the plates itself are quite large. You would be daft if you think that the pressure on the GPU side wouldnt have any impact. No go fetch me some more results regarding core temp differences in recent assembled machines.

2. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In 84 I was in Olimpics LOL sweet child of mine :)
    Sorry those recent buyers are rare breed...
    I heard they got some kind of issues they have hard time to warm up their CPU it behave strangely on too low temperatures :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With your age i would expect more mature behaviour. Also you have no basis to state on that recent buyers without issues are a rare breed. Only the people at dell know the sales numbers and rate of returns.

4. allienhead191

allienhead191 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just an update I did end up getting this laptop & as expected it does run hot, core 0 and core 2 hit 97c while running heaven benchmark for the GPU and realbench h264 for the CPU

I pretty much thought this would happen but hopefully nothing a good repaste / repad won't sort out, pads ordered will keep this updated

btw this 4k screen is amazing

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That sucks, early machine I suppose based on looking at the specs. But a good repaste would sort it out indeed. Check @iunlock his guide. One row of pads needs to be replaced with very thin ones or good thermal paste.Or a solution would be to order the latest revision heatsink for about 50 euro on Aliexpress

6. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And at the end when he fails to have reasonable perfirmance he should cash out additional 450$ for "repaste" job :)

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its easy enough to do yourself, every person can decide that for himself, or go to another shops. or exchange it with dell.