17 - R4 - 6820HK - 1070 - anything to look out for?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by allienhead191, Dec 23, 2017.

1. allienhead191

allienhead191 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I might be getting a used 17 - R4 coming to me soon

I just wondered what the main concerns of this laptop was? I plan on changing the thermal paste / pads if the temps are bad stock wise.

things I like about this laptop, well I don't know for certain but from reviews I've seen.

• sturdy
    • reliable?
    • great cooling when it works

what I like about this particular laptop is the 6820HK is the last certified windows 7 chip, I dislike win10
    also the little bit extra cache from the 6700hq

I plan on hopefully using this laptop to replace my desktop? how many people use the laptop as desktop replace? has anyone got one hooked up to a 3440 x 1440 100hz g sync monitor acer X34A?

other little things I like is the gtx 1070 laptop edition has more cores than the desktop counterpart also it can be clocked just as high from what ive seen

even though I use Liquid metal in my desktop I would not use it in the Laptop imo it isn't a ''fit & forget'' application so I would go for the next best which from my experience is coolermaster mastergel nano

also the thermal pads maybe some 10-17W/mK depending on price

ultimate goal would be to repaste / pad then have a cooling stand for the laptop to provide even better thermals.

I have a lot of experience with desktops but I hear people on this forums say when repasting laptops need more paste? is that true would love to get some feedback.

also new to this forums so HI everyone!

:)

2. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As far as I could saw they overheat,
    still they are sturdy, one more thing is that lcd backlight bleeding I saw posted on this forum are disgusting...