[17 R3] Alienware graphics amp - 4 monitors?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Ezio99, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Ezio99

Ezio99 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi,

My laptop:
    Aw 17 R3
    6700 hq
    970m

I would like to purchase AGA and an external graphics card so that I can connect four monitors (all 1080p).
    Please suggest what is the best graphics card for my situation. It should satisfy following conditions:
    1) Reasonable price (brand new). I won't be gaming much. Maybe City skylines or aoe2 at the most.
    2) Should not bottleneck
    3) should be able to connect to 4 monitors (1080p).

My goal is to connect four monitors for my laptop. If you have a better solution than the above, please suggest as well.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Reasonability is subjective. I have a 1080ti in my AGA, which cost me about $500, used, two years ago.

2. Bottlenecks at 1080p are likely to be an issue with a 4 core CPU. However, if you're not gaming, what sort of bottlenecks are you concerned about? I can't imagine a use case where FPS would adversely impact a workflow to a point that you'd even notice

3. I'm not sure of the output options on other cards, but mine has two display ports, two HDMI, and one S-video type connection. I think you should be covered

I'd look for a 1080ti. It is about as powerful as a desktop 2070 (minus the raytracing, which is overrated, IMO) and can be picked up on the used market for about what I paid for mine. Brand new it looks like they're still going for north of $1300.