17 R2 - Anyone else have buyer's remorse yet?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by starrk, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starrk

starrk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For all the work it took to get his thing ordered and shipped, I'm sorely disappointed that a week later I'm already regretting the purchase. It's a nice sturdy laptop. Colors on the IPS panel are off and I'm not going to buy a calibrator (spent too much on this thing already with upgrades), so I'm stuck with strange colors. Most painful is that it cannot run World of Warcraft on ultra settings. WoW is what...10 years old. I've spent the whole first week fighting a losing battle with both the colors and the stupidly low (for a "high end laptop") fps in WoW. Sure I have my moments with 120 fps...if I go stick my nose in a corner and stand there. But hit the open world with trees, shadows, water...or join a raid and get 15 different spell animations going...yeah the fps tank to about 20 or so. This is with several of the graphics settings not even on max.

Its a nice machine...very sturdy feeling. But the power just isn't there. As much as I've been against the GA the entire time, I actually caught myself shopping desktop 980's yesterday. I actually almost had myself convinced that it would allow me to play WoW lag free. Then my better half chimed in with a "Why?". It's a $3000+ laptop and your looking at a $600 graphics card plus $300 GA. Any form of Clevo would be cheaper and more powerful.

I just honestly don't know what to think right now. I really really WANT to like this R2. But why spend that kind of money and have to play laggy WoW...I'm still not even sure why I'm not already returning the R2 and ordering a Clevo. Maybe I'm still just shell shocked that the "best" Alienware had to offer can't run a 10 year old game on max settings.

Anyway...sorry for my gripe and thanks for listening. Guess I'll keep building Sagers and see if I accidentally click the order button one of these times.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you tried manually tweaking the colours?

3. bnosam

bnosam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should be able to run WoW way better than you are able to. I'm guessing its a fault with your system. So I'm gonna say you either have the choice between going through the lovely process of replacement OR returning it completely and getting a cheaper laptop that is equal or better.

4. ecundiff1

ecundiff1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow man - thats ridiculous - 3 grand and you cant run WoW on ultra? Absurd.
    Seriously return that ****pile - and buy the msi gs30. Seriously. Read my review on here - im scoring over 10k on firestrike with just a gtx970 desktop gpu and i run wow bf4 cod all on ultra - can even run them on ultra at 3k res.
    My total cost was 2300$ - and 4 weeks in havent had one problem with it.
    Do yourself a favor and send then gimped piece of **** back to alienware - letem sell it to some other sucker imo.
    I mean really - you now want tobuy a gtx980 for 500 bucks and run it at pciex4 on aw?
    Get the msi and run it at pciex16 and do that card some justice!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    bnosam likes this.
  5. starrk

starrk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol no on the GA and desktop card...I only caught myself considering, and then realized what a waste of money that was.

6. bnosam

bnosam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are a lot of issues currently wit the GA anyway. It wouldn't be worth your trouble. Are you keeping the laptop or refunding it?

7. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    That's an issue with your particular laptop, though others have had these issues, and required tweaking to get the full performance.

People with Clevo's have also had this same issue. You'd be wise to do a bit of research, rather than assuming its simply the R2 at fault. Though I agree, a top-notch machine shouldn't have issues like this, especially a $3000 machine.

Still, google is your friend. Others have had performance issues and fixed them. Some AW, some Clevo. The new nVidia drivers and the GTX 970/980 have had issues across all laptops, not just AW.

Also, did you get the 240w PSU? It's a very well-documented issue that the 180w power supply cannot adequately power the GTX 980M. You need to get Dell to send you the 240w A/C adapter, or you simply will not get the full juice out of your system.

Again, Google. Though, again, Alienware has no business shipping a $3000 machine with an inadequate power supply.

8. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    The build quality of the MSI is dubious at best. As is their support. And there is far more to a laptop than just performance.

Always a trade off.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Fragster

Fragster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Something's not right on your system. I have the 970m model and so far, haven't had a single issue with the games I've been playing...Skyrim with mods, COD-AW, BF4 at 1080p med settings. Runs like butter.

And I only paid $1400 (plus discounts) for the base model+touchscreen panel and upgraded the SSD myself. Zero regrets with my purchase and I have a general rule of thump NEVER to spend more than $1500 on ANY laptop.

10. ecundiff1

ecundiff1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dubious? This little laptop is solid - i dunno what you may be referring to- care to divulge?
    Because the only issue ive had thus far is its a little noisy from fans.

Unlike aw though i dont have light bleeding, screen ghosting, terrible interfacing with dock and drivers, insufficient power supply, no raid support, overheating, poor performance in game, underwhelming cpu, lousy pcie interface etc etc etc and so on. And speaking of customer support - im guessing you havent been reading the Aw forums lately with all the bad customer support threads.

Which manufacturer has the build quality issues? And sorry but do you own this computer or have any first hand experience with it? Have you owned msi? (just wondering where your opinion is coming from)
    Im sure msi has had some bad releases in the past but im telling you this one isnt of those.
    A couple reviews have been harsh about the fan noise which is true but can also be made better. The other thing i saw was keyboard flex which oddly mine doesnt have so maybe it was a prelease model they were testing. I mean really after over a month of use with this pc its still the hands down most badass computer ive ever bought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.