17" laptop to be used as a desktop replacement for a long time

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Andario, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andario

Andario Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

17". I would only consider 15.6" if the specs were ridiculously better (My eyesight is not great).

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Anywhere in Europe.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo, Dell, etc. I value "quality" over raw power.
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

It will be my only computer for quite a long time. No gaming but frequent video editing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Mostly on my desk, but I much rather prefer a "thin and light" than a heavy, bulky, gaming-looking laptop, since I´ll have to lug it around from time to time. (Orange WASD keys is not what I´m searching for...).

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No. Just non-pro video editing.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

-

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Don´t mind.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1080p. I could even go for a 16:10 res if such a thing exists these days, but no 1440p or higher.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Matte is a must.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Moderately, but I much rather have a "business" looking laptop than a "gaming" looking laptop.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP. But I can wait if you guys know something good is about to pop-up.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

-

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

SSD+HDD is what I´m searching for. 256GB+1TB would be optimal.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Not a must, but I don´t really mind if the laptop is not very heavy/bulky.

==========
    END COPY

In short: I´m searching for a 17", matte, 1080p, "thin and light" laptop, and I value overall "quality" (touchpad, keyboard, selection of ports, craftmanship...) over raw power.
    Little to no throttling while unplugged would be a plus, but not compulsory. Same thing goes for upgradeability and/or a Thunderbolt port.

The closest laptop to what I´m looking for (that I know about, anyway) is the Asus VivoBook Pro 17 N705UD (i7-8550U, GTX 1050), but I´m not satisfied with its overall "quality", according to reviews onine, so I rather pay a bit more and get a higher quality laptop, even if that means no real improvement over those specs.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. nixliu

nixliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    most 17'' laptop are using 2k or 4k panel. I do not recomend a undervoltage cpu. How about MSI GS73

Andario likes this.
  3. Andario

Andario Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for that suggestion, man. I just checked a few reviews and it´s certainly a really nice, slim, better specced laptop than the Asus I mentioned.

However, the GS73 is first and foremost a "gaming" laptop, from the case design to the multi-colored keys, including the enormous CPU/GPU undervolting while unplugged. And these days I´d really like something more businesslike and less power-hungry, if possible.

So to give you guys a more accurate idea, something like a 17", matte, 1080p, Dell XPS 15 9560 would be much closer to the laptop I´m searching for.

Thanks!

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't know if it's available over there, but the HP ProBook 470 G5 might be worth a look. It's offered with a quad core and 1080p matte IPS screen. Plus, it's light for a 17" at 5.5 pounds. eBay might be an option if you can't find a retailer in Europe.

Andario likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You definitely want a non gaming laptop for your budget, then. Dell makes some good systems but your price range limit will make it difficult.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you'll relent on the refurb, you can easily do everything but the thin and light with the Lenovo P70 or P71. These are solidly constructed workstation class laptops. You might be able to do it new, but refurb will give you options for better components (faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, faster/bigger SSD) while hitting your price point.

Factory refurbs carry new warranties.

Andario likes this.
  7. Andario

Andario Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

@ZaZ I did check the 470, but I honestly see no improvement whatsoever in the overall quality compared to the VivoBook. As a matter or fact, the very best version I´ve found has a markedly worse GPU than the 1050 on the VivoBook, which I´d like to have to help out with editing. As such, I didn´t even consider it.

@Falkentyne Like I said, I just don´t want a gaming laptop, but the MSI suggested by @nixliu is a steal, having easily the very best specs I´ve found on a "thin and light" 17": i7-7700HQ/16GB/1TB+256SSD/GTX1060 in such a small 17", for around 1500euros, is just great, IMO. I just don´t want a flashy, hot, noisy laptop with short battery life. Moreover, 95% of the time my computing needs are minimal (other than editing), so a good mobile CPU with a lower TDP is by far my preferred choice.

And about Dell, the 15.6" XPS 9560 with a 1050 is within my budget, an easily the laptop I like the most, due to its overall quality and more than enough performance for my needs. If it wasn´t for the huge difference a 17-17.3"" vs 15.6" display makes with my eyes, I would certainly buy the 9560/9570.

@rlk I like Lenovos, but it´s pretty much impossible to buy those type of refurbs where I live. And the P70 you mentioned is actually a mf brick, compared to any of the aforementioned laptops.

In short: give me the closest thing on the market to a $2000 17" XPS and I´ll be a happy camper... :p

Thanks again, guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.