17 inch performance laptop without throttling

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Dheorl, May 18, 2019.

1. Dheorl

Dheorl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm still trying to figure out what to do laptop wise. Having weighed up various likely futures so to speak I think I could really do with something I can use standalone for productivity tasks, so am teetering towards a larger screen. I need decent hardware, but am currently running on a 750M GPU, so anything current will be a massive improvement for me, meaning a 2060 will probably be fine. Size wise I don't need the absolute thinnest, but will be moving around with it so probably don't want anything much more than 3kg. I will be pushing this machine to pretty much 100% on both CPU and GPU for long periods, so need something that can deal with it.

My main concerns are build quality, screen quality and throttling. Nothing annoys me more than having hardware I can't fully utilise, and the manufacturers who just don't seem to care. I'm willing to undervolt and possibly do a repaste, and will be using something like one of the simple X stands to raise the back a bit, but don't want to have to go further than that just to get the full potential out of my system. This goes for power throttling too.

The main contenders atm seem to be an MSI GE75 or GS75, an ASUS ROG Strix Hero/Scar III, perhaps an ASUS Zephyrus at a stretch, or an Alienware m17. Of those the Alienware has the potential for the best screen if I go for the 4k, but out of the 1080p options the MSI seems best, build quality seems fairly even between Alienware and ASUS, with MSI lagging behind, and none seem to particularly stand out throttling wise (although I hear the Alienware can power limit throttle). The Strix probably seems best value wise and also comes with 9th gen CPU unlike the MSI. I'm open to other suggestions.

Here's the form if it helps.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    ~£2000 although can maybe stretch a touch for something exceptional

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    UK
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Modelling, rendering, gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, a bit of everything

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    6 for general web browsing would be nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Not bothered

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    FHD. Colour gamut is also important

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Don't mind

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Ideally 250GB SSD + 1TB HD or SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years+

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A week, max

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd be willing to pay extra.

2. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Take a look at Dell, Lenovo, and HP's workstation laptops (Precision M7730, Thinkpad P72, and Zbook something or other respectively). These will run you a bit more and have Pascal-series Quadro graphics.

There don't seem to be a lot of FHD screens with 100% NTSC or AdobeRGB gamut, but the workstation UHD screens are, and they're a lot more saturated than a typical 72% NTSC (which is normally about 100% sRGB). Don't assume that "100% gamut" means 100% of NTSC or AdobeRGB gamut unless it specifies that.

Finally, while I know you said no refurb, I would still consider factory refurb systems (see the pinned post in this forum). Factory refurbs offer full (not balance) warranties, and you can get on-site service in some countries (I'd expect so in the UK).

3. Dheorl

Dheorl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately they're all rather large and expensive. I understand the colour gamut, and should be fine with roughly 100% sRGB for most of my work, but I notice the Alienware has the option for one of the high gamut UHD panels, which is pretty much the only reason it's still in the running. I'm tempted to try replacing the panel of one of the other ones, but there isn't much range of high gamut panels so finding one to fit doesn't seem likely.