17-inch mid-range gaming laptop to last

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by default2413, May 2, 2019.

1. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1000-$2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    My current laptop is a 6-year old Sager NP8270 that I've been happy enough, so I've been primarily looking at Sager/Clevo, but I'm open to other options.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    New only

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mix of gaming, programming, general usage

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly staying in one place.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, Destiny 2, etc

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2+ (my current battery is shot, so it's always plugged in. Anything is going to be an improvement, but I don't have any strict requirements)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm okay buying without seeing in-person first, if the quality is good.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p, but I'm interested in 120/144hz

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Minimum 250GB SSD, probably looking at a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus or equivalent though. An extra HDD is optional, and I'm fine buying and adding one later separately if it makes sense.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Not decided. Could be soon if I a good deal I'm happy with, but my current laptop still works well enough, so I can wait for better deals if needed.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    I'd like to get something that will last 5+ years at least.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A couple months

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd rather ship than pay extra

==========

I'm not quite a computer expert, but I am fairly experienced, and I'm comfortable taking my laptop apart to install some new parts if needed.

So, I've spent the past week doing research, slowly working my price range up from around $1200 originally, up towards $1700 now with the current laptops I'm looking at.

I've primarily been looking at various flavors of the Clevo P970RD, maybe either:
    https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Sager-NP8976-Build
    http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p970rd-rtx-2060.html
    I'm still trying to find what the differences are between the EVOC vs Sager. It also looks like GenTech has a deal right now for free thermal paste/pad, and with that at the 3% discount, it brings the price about even, but the the Sager including a 7200rpm HHD vs EVOC with a 5400rpm HHD

I'm not dead set on the Clevo though, so if anyone has other similar suggestions/recommendations I should look into more, I'm open. I think I've convinced myself I want something along the lines of:
    17"
    i7 9th gen CPU
    GTX 1660-Ti or RTX 2060
    970 EVO 500GB SSD
    Prefer but not require 144Hz screen

The main thing I definitely want is to be sure I get a laptop that lasts, and will still be reasonably powerful 2-3 years from now. While I'm ready to purchase one immediately, I'm also not in any dire need to do so, so if I should wait for better deals, I can.

Thanks for any advice! I'm trying to make sure I do my research before spending a lot on something that I hope lasts me another 5+ years.

2. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is a great deal from Eluktronics via NewEgg:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S19768420&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction-MKPL&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-MKPL-_-Gaming Laptops-_-Eluktronics-_-9SIA8S19768420&cm_sp=&AID=12165498&PID=8267463&SID=

Eluktronics MECH-17 G1Rx Slim & Light NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti Gaming Laptop with Mechanical RGB Keyboard -
    Intel i7-9750H
    CPU 6GB GDDR6 VR Ready GPU 17.3"
    144Hz Full HD IPS 512GB NVMe SSD + 16GB RAM

• $1,249.99
    • Sale Ends in 4 Days (Mon)Save: $350.00 (22%)

default2413 likes this.
  3. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations:
    That MECH-17 sale does look like a pretty compelling deal. Looking at the specs and a review for that model, some things I don't like:
    • 144Hz 30ms delay vs 3ms on the clevo
    • Presumably only standard thermal paste, so I'd need to apply my own if I wanted better
    • Lack of a HDD slot. I can live with this, but having one is convenient.
    • Seems like the cheaper materials relative to the clevo?
    Overall though, that's $1250 vs closer to $1700 that I'm looking at for the Clevo with the 2060, so definitely still something to consider. I'd go with the 1660-Ti model if I did. The 2060 RTX for Eluktronics puts the price a bit closer and makes it less compelling, but the benchmarks between 1660 and 2060 don't seem that big currently anyway. That $1250 is right in the price range I was looking for originally, before slowly working my way up to something more expensive. Still thinking about it, and I guess I have the weekend to decide. Thanks for the input!

4. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It does have a 2.5 HD bay. And it is 9ms delay not 30ms according to my research.

5. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations:
    From https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-17
    2.5" SSD/HDD SATA III Storage Bay: Occupied by extended battery
    Battery: 4-Cell 62.36Wh Polymer

I think I saw a review for a 3-Cell battery version that had the slot for the 2.5" HDD, but the 4-cell version takes up that space. Still, not a deal-breaker, just a nice to have.

Do you have any links/reviews mentioning the 9ms delay?

6. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations:
    If it really is a 9ms delay, that may push me to it. I do see now that it looks like Eluktronics commented on the review video I saw () saying it should be 9ms delay. Even if I throw in a cheap 1tb NVMe ssd, do the better thermal paste myself, and account for a $200 difference between the 1660-Ti vs 2060, that's still a really good deal, and much more in line what my original price was looking to be. I'll take a look at that forum and see if I can convince myself to make the purchase.

8. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations: