17" General Purpose Laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Locker420, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locker420

Locker420 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just looking for some recommendations for a 17" lappy to be used for general browsing, office applications and general multimedia such as watching movies (Blueray not needed), listening to music, etc. Battery size is not a priority.

A deal would be great but I'm looking for a machine of good rather than ultra-cheap quality. Budget up to about 700 dollars with a bit of flexibility for the right machine.

Simply posting links would be extremely helpful and any additional information most appreciated. Thank you very much for any help or recommendations.

2. MrSeaBass

MrSeaBass Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Bump, for I am looking for exactly the same thing.

3. mmmangoes

mmmangoes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I figured i would post for a bump- dont really have an informed rec to make- but smb grade may be a good thing in terms of build quality

-Dell Vostro 3750
    -Hp Probook 4730s
    -Dell XPS 17 (from dell outlet)

hopefully the experts here will chime in with some ideas

4. Locker420

Reputations:
    Maybe their aren't any general purpose 17" laptops out there?

5. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What makes you think that the 17-inchers recommended by mmmangoes aren't general-purpose? How do you define "general purpose"? All three laptops that he listed would be excellent for you.

6. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Since your usage won't at all be concerned with performance CPU-wise or GPU-wise, the biggest spec you can focus on is the screen. Most laptop screens are junk. If you see a mention of 1600x900 in the specs for a 17.3" laptop screen, it means large text, not many windows fit onscreen, and it generally means a poor contrast ratio that results in bad image quality. [The reason a 1600x900 screen might be useful: if your eyesight makes it uncomfortable to read smaller-than-average text - 1920x1080 in 17.3" makes text only slightly larger than the size as text on the 13" Macbook Air, so use that as a reference -- but you can generally use DPI scaling to increase text size in some applications]

I'd suggest taking a look at the HP DV7t with the 1920x1080 display upgrade.
    Here's a configuration with just the 1080p display upgrade: HP Official Store — Buy and Customize your dv7 and dv7t series PC direct from HP
    Use coupon code PLAY25 to bring it down to $674 - or add $100 more in upgrades and use the coupon code PLAY30 to bring it down not much more than $700 - choose these upgrades wisely, don't just throw something random on there.

The ProBook 4730s is overpriced, with the cheapest base model being $899. $899 simply is too expensive for this kind of notebook. The 4730s is a budget notebook with a distorted price tag. The Vostro is more reasonably priced. However, if spending ~$899, look at the Dell XPS 17 with the 1080p screen upgrade (base model + screen upgrade + coupon code 932N$0ZCCHWZB9 = $899) - the audio quality makes it one of the better multimedia notebooks out there, but unless you're getting the 1080p screen then you're better off getting the HP DV7t. Good audio can't make up for a bad screen.

7. Locker420

Reputations:
  8. Sean9

Sean9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And after edit gave you all that nice info about not getting a 900p screen haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.