17" for CAD/3d modeling. Possibly AMD?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KaisoArt, Jul 18, 2019.

1. KaisoArt

KaisoArt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I bought my last laptop in 2010. A Sager/Clevo 17", original i7 gaming machine. I has been great and is still working. I updated to SSDs, more memory, and Win10. (Came with Vista) At any rate, lately, it has been crashing occasionally on post, and I suspect some hardware is failing. Correct or not, I think its time for a new machine. I immediately went back to Sager as this machine has been stellar. That said, I expect there have been some new brands in the past 10 years that I'm unaware of. Searches just pull up the big boys, HP, Dell, etc. Unless I find something else, I'll just buy another Sager.

My needs are, 17", powerful, quiet, and as light as possible. (My old Sager sounds like a jet) Also, I recently built a desktop rig using Ryzen. Anyone making high-end laptops with Ryzen? My searches only find low-mid range machines.

2. otezs

otezs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you looked into Lenovo P73? These are meant for the professionals with their reliability and certifications to ensure smooth work process.

ISV Certifications
    • ArcGIS®
    • AutoCAD®
    • CATIA®
    • Creo®
    • Decision Space®
    • Inventor®
    • Maya®
    • McKesson®
    • Microstation
    • NX®
    • PDMS®
    • Petrel®
    • Revit®
    • Solid Edge®
    • SolidWorks®
    • Vectorworks®
    • VRED®
    • 3dsMax®

3. KaisoArt

KaisoArt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. Apparently it's not available quite yet. Also, I was hoping to go lighter than 7+ pounds, but this might be wishful thinking.

4. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could also look at used/refurb P70/P71/P72 machines, or the Dell and HP equivalents (Precision 77xx, Z-book G-series). Factory refurbs come with warranties. But the P73 machines will have beefier processors available.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    You could check out the Dell Precision 7740: comes with up to 8 core CPUs, Quadro RTX 5000, four NVMe slots, 97 Wh battery, up to 128 GB RAM, etc etc.

As for AMD, you won’t see decent high-performance CPUs until 2020 at the earliest. The current crop (3550H, 3750H) compete with Intel’s CPUs from 2016 and 2017, and have half the cores of the most powerful notebook Intel CPUs.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  6. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IMO Dell has the best cooling/upgrade path, Lenovo has the looks, and HP has the value.
    Zbook 17's, Lenovo P53, or the Dell 7740 (my personal recommendation)