17" 4k, good typing keyboard, low noise, medium performer.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Johannes33, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Johannes33

Johannes33 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a 17" laptop with 4k screen. I use a lot of office applications that need a lot of screen real estate so I do not need it to be good with gaming. Since I will be mainly typing on it, the keyboard needs to be a good one. I also would like a touchpad with buttons and low noise. Accationaly I will be watching a movie on it as well.
    so:
    display: 17" UHD
    extra if possible: high nits for outdoor work, touch enabled.

performance: medium (do not want the battery to drain and noise to be a problem)

keyboard: a good one for typing.

battery life: minimum 3h office work (I do not know what to expect form a computer with 4k)

price range prefer up to 1500 Euro but up to 2500 Euro ~2600 USD is ok.

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would recommend either the Lenovo P72 or P73.
    Or if typing is quite important to you, I really recommend the Eluktronics MECH-17 as its portable and comes with a mechanical keyboard undoubtedly superior to any rubber dome keyboard even the ThinkPad keyboards, 17 inches and 4k do not go all that well together I do hope you realise that you will need to use scaling with that display if you choose 4k, or you are going to need to use a magnifying glass, like a real one that you hold in your hand, no I am not joking I honestly suggest you go take a look at some models with 4k, turn off the scaling in Windows and set it to 100%, its unusable so your effective work space wont increase, another monitor however would increase your work space substantially, Lenovo sells those 15.6 inch and 17 inch portable laptop monitors that can run off USB-C or USB 3, they are relatively thin and lightweight and no power adapter is needed.

You can get 4k touch display with the ThinkPad P73 but I would argue against it. 1440p would be more desirable but sadly that is pretty rare in laptops.
    Both machines can be configured before buying, choosing your hardware etc and you can easily fit them in your price range.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    17" notebooks with 4K touchscreens are rare ducks. The only one that comes to mind is the HP Envy 17, though I believe that is out of production. If you can give up 4K and/or touchscreen, you'll have more options. In my experience, some people really do like touchscreens and if you're one of them, then go for it, but there are other considerations. Touchscreens add weight and lessen battery life. The glass used in them is typically highly reflective, which can be annoying in well lit areas like an office or outside.

JRE84 likes this.
  4. Johannes33

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    The main point is that it is a good keyboard and 17".
    I have tried the lenovo p73 and dislike the keyboard. The keys are small and made for the lenovo 15". Instead of using a normal size keyboard that would have fit a 17" the keyboard is sub par to 14" thinkpad, which has bigger keys but without numpad.
    When reading about the Eluktronics MECH-17 I find that people do not like the keyboard so much. And I do not like what I hear because I will mainly type on it.
    Here is a selection taken from the forum thread TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S . The Eluktronics is a rebranded Tongfang.

"Keyboard: I don't really like it but it works. There is zero resistance or activation force and no cushion on the bottom. It's so easy to press keys and so little feedback I tend to mash keys or type them out of order. They are better than some of the really low travel ultrabook keyboards though. The spacing is cramped and I mistype if I try to go fast. There is no click when typing. I assume these are the brown switches some people want. They still clatter when the caps hit the bottom though. It doesn't feel like a mechanical keyboard. The omen x 17 was way better."

"These don't feel mechanical to me. They feel cheap with no cushion. Really no force at all. Hollow feeling when the key clacks down onto the bottom. It's like an hp spectre or dell xps keyboard but with more travel, zero cushion zero resistance, wiggly keys, and annoying clack when it bottoms. I wouldn't game on these as just leaving your fingers on the caps might cause inadvertent depressions. I have no experience with buying specific key switches so can't comment. I'm making it sound worse than it is. The keyboard is usable if underwhelming and cheap feeling. At least the keys are not bendy like on really budget laptops. It is a bit cramped but since I'm more used to chiclet keys that have a defined bezel space in between, maybe I just need to get used to the layout."

"I like the key travel distance, the keycap feel and style, the lighting (though it's basic), even the font, but THE SPACING IS NARROW. Yes, they must have taken the same substandard-sized keyboard from the Tongfang GK5CN6Z. To me, typing comfort and accuracy is way down, even after several hours of use.
    On 10Fastfingers.com I scored only a 131wpm average over three 60 second tests, 13wpm lower than my last 50 test average (taken on a variety of keyboards). On Typeracer.com I was at best getting 30wpm slower than my fastest speeds on identical texts (175wpm vs. 205wpm), but typing at an average pace is much less affected.
    So would this keyboard work for the average user? Most likely! I just don't know if my muscle memory will allow me to change to this smaller footprint keyboard. Also consider we are talking about just a 3% difference horizontally as measured, and the vertical distance is still standard."

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  5. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can get an Aero 17 with 4K. I have a non-4K one and don't love the way the manage software, but the hardware is overall pretty good. Worth a look.

Keyboard is good except for a) only primary characters are lit, and b) there are no lights for cap lock/num lock.

Johannes33 likes this.
  6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Where did you see that the 14" ThinkPads have bigger keys than the P73? I'm only curious. The ThinkPad P73's main keyboard is considered full-size by laptop standards.

Alternatives to the ThinkPad P73 include the Dell Precision 7740 and the HP ZBook 17. Unfortunately it seems no one makes a 17" business laptop that's not a workstation anymore, so it's expensive territory.

Charles

Johannes33 and Spartan like this.
  7. Johannes33

Reputations:
    @Charles P. Jefferies
    Hi Charles. I tried a friends 14" laptop and liked the keys before I ordered a p73 thinking the feeling would be the same but I can tell you that it is miles apart.
    I live in Europe (Sweden) so I have the same design as the german keyboard. Perhaps the US version of the keyboard is better but I have not tried it.
    You can read more about the issue and what other people say in this thread.
    Thanks for the tips. I will look in to the different models.

@CocoLoco
    Thanks for the tip. I just looked on one youtube review and it looks very compelling with the long battery life, great screen and good looks even if I just need a medium performer. It seems, from my google history, that the alternatives for a 17" with good keyboard are a lot of the time gaming laptops.

Also I would be interested in a laptop that I can buy used since I do not need the performance of the latest specs. A workstation or gaming laptop that are a couple of years old would be a medium performer of today and a lot cheaper. I'm not super hard on only considering 4k so I have done an alternative thread with less specific spec parameters. So if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them :)
    Thanks for a wonderful community your knowledge rocks!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Charles P. Jefferies likes this.