17" 4K 3840x2160 IPS display incoming!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Dude, reading comprehension, download some. I didn't call ppl stupid, I said the laptop resolution arms race is stupid.

2. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the scaling is for programs and texts and what not. windows 10 has helped a lot. i don't mind slightly blurry upscaled fonts if it's worth the sacrifice to see my 18 mega pixel photos on a 4k screen. plus i'm jumping over to 4k video. even if i edit 1080p video, i'll be able to see the 1080p video and then have a ton of workspace room. plus i jumped to pc gaming 2 years ago. i never had an xbox or ps3 either. i was all nintendo. so with a 4k screen, i could go back and enjoy older games with crisp retina graphics. yeah textures won't be as crisp, but everything else will be

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Have you bumped up IR and SSAA in Dolphin?

4. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I´m also editing video and photos on my laptop, and it´s really advantageous to have a 4k screen. I think that apart from the odd program (or windows menu) Win10 scaling is doing its job well, apart from 125% and 175%. Honestly, i can even say that at 200% scaling or gaming at fhd i do not see any image blurriness, it really seems as good as my m570ru 17" fhd panel and my 23" fhd monitor (that´s to be expected). I sometimes even use 150% scaling when working with Resolve to have some more workspace and i´m not with my eyes glued to the laptop.

5. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah. i'm hoping skylake laptops will have hdmi 2.0 ports. i'd love to get a 4k tv and play dolphin games on it maxed out

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:

Whoa settle down there killer. For some reason laptops and PC's keep being seen as glorified tablets. They are two distinct devices with two distinct jobs. Sure you can do a lot on one that you can do on the other, but you won't be editing videos or photos or encoding videos on your smartphone any time soon. LCD's are only as good as the UI that uses them. Windows sucks at scaling, plain and simple. 4K is fine for having more screen real estate for productivity reasons, I agree. But for gaming it's just too many compromises. And unless you're at 200% scaling I have found way too many scaling bugs to make it worthwhile.

Smartphones I think it's a bit ridiculous too, mainly for power consumption reasons. Let's put the most power sucking screens in devices with the smallest batteries and have to tether our phones to the wall every four to six hours. It's funny how people want a laptop that will last 12 hours on battery but are fine with smartphones that last 6. And also want super high res power sucking LCD's so they can play Candy Crush or the latest Flappy Bird app.

triturbo likes this.
  7. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Right now I am using a WQHD IPS on 13". I can have many Software directly side by side, which allows me to work much faster than before with FHD and switching Windows all the time.
    Scales all well for things like gaming etc. Photoshop and video editing is a breeze, so there is no way I am going back to lower res.

Looking forward to the upcoming 4K 17" IPS Clevos.

TomJGX and Phase like this.
  8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Well no, you called him/us blind and picky for not liking where things are going and how things are handled.

And here enters the very reason why I stand by 16:10 - content creation. You see, with 16:10 you have that extra room for toolbars and whatever you want and still edit full 16:9 content, or 4:3 content, or any kind of content. You have room EVERYWHERE! 16:10 is for creation, 16:9 is for consumption! How are you going to edit 4K video on 4K display - scal(p)ed that's how, because there's no room to fit the toolbars and the full 4K video/picture/whatever.

You probably missed where I said that Apple handles pixels differently than Windows, but here's a reminder again. Oh, and I said that everything looks awesome on Apple. I guess @octiceps is right, you need to download some reading comprehension.

Same goes to you, open your mind and let in the idea that unless your daily driver is fighter jet, or some airplane for that matter, chances are that your vision is not perfect and here's a shocker, in most cases it would degrade over time. Only a handful of people enjoy perfect vision throughout their lifespan, I admire them, hands down, but the rest of us have to deal with what we have. So here's the open mindedness - why not make a LESSER display (2560x1600 17)", for the mere mortals around?

Prema likes this.
  9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I want you to use your bios mod phoenix magic and make a 17" 4K 120Hz 8-bit 72% NTSC gamut matte panel that fits our notebooks.

And then I want you to use more phoenix magic and somehow fit a 5960X at 5GHz and three 980Ti superclocked cards in the notebooks.

On a single power brick with OC headroom.

I am become "too enthusiast" T_T

Prema likes this.
  10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    For productivity I wholeheartedly agree. That's why I used three 1080p LCD's at work. But for my personal/pleasure machine it just doesn't seem to work well for me. And I find multiple monitors more effective personally, because it's easy to snap to full screen on multiple monitors. But I digress. To each their own. I'm glad there are options and choices. I'm happy that 17" is finally getting some love. But just wish they'd offer more options like something in between, is 2560 x 1440 120Hz IPS too much to ask? :p

Prema likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.