17" 4K 3840x2160 IPS display incoming!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Exactly. Humans can only see that much. And Windows at anything but 100% starts to get ugly really quick.

2. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well being a content creator is my main reason for 4k screens. photography and video

Cloudfire likes this.
  3. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Not sure why anyone would not want 4K IPS in notebooks. We have been stuck in 1080p for far too long. Although its no 1440p 120Hz its still vastly better than 1080p 60Hz freaking TN displays which was introduced in the stone age anyway.

Time to move on.

[​IMG]

4. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    plus it sucks to say to people with apple products that my windows laptop is only 1080p =(

5. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    Sucks to say that to anyone really.

TVs got 1080p a decade ago and moved on.
    Mobile phones moved on to bigger resolutions many years ago.
    Desktop guys are laughing at notebooks because of 1080p

Its one of the reasons I have "RIP mobile gaming" in my signature.
    Now I hope other OEMs start using this 4K display from Lenovo and its not just them offering it

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    While it's not quite as ridiculous as 2K-2.5K phone screens, the resolution arms race on laptops is almost as stupid. I would rather have a calibrated sRGB 1080p 144Hz IPS with fast pixel response and variable refresh rate tech. Then I have the choice of either playing my games at a high FPS or turning up the eye candy to 4x SSAA which looks better than a native 4K w/no AA. Conversely if I have a 4K display and have to drop down to 1080p for gaming it looks blurry and crappy due to the poor scaling algorithms in modern video card drivers and I'm still stuck at 60Hz.

Why would desktop users laugh at resolutions on notebook displays. That just shows how dumb they are. Their monitors are 2-3x the surface area of laptop screens so a higher res is a given.

Ethrem, TBoneSan and triturbo like this.
  7. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    Because you are blind if you can`t game with 4K on a 17" display and you are clueless if you can`t change DPI in Windows and you are too picky if you can`t game on resolutions between 4K and 1080p and think the picture is too blury.

Time to retire if the above is the case

I have absolutely zero issues using my 1080p mobile phone and I have no issues noticing the crisp and clearer pictures above my previous sub 1080p phones. I can even notice that the 1440p phone my friend have got crisper pictures and letters due to more PPI. Those two phones got vastly less surface area than a 17" notebook with 1080p display.

Maybe time to change your attitude that other people are stupid because they don`t share your view on things. They may actually think you are stupid..

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yet you are name calling, because of the different point of view. How very gentleman of you. Please, do tell how many people can make the difference above certain level? Secondly, how many people can make use of those extra pixels? Why should I change the DPi? The whole point of having those pixels is to actually use them, not to brag how many pixels you have and then kick the slider to 200%! Thirdly, I'll repeat myself, but Window's scaling is ugly, that's it. Oh and ergonomics. Have you ever heard of this word? 4K on anything but big-@$$ TV/monitor is NOT ergonomic for the reasons stated above.

If you can make use of it @100% scaling, I salute you. Then again you'll be 1 : very-large-number of people who can make use of it.

9. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    I didnt call him stupid, I said the other people might see him as stupid since he see them as stupid..Meaning his opinion might not be shared by many other. It was octiceps own wording...

Why change DPI? Who said you are gonna go all the way up to 1080p scaling?
    You still will benefit of 4K gaming and not sub 4K DSR quality. Like Phase said, photographs and pictures look better on a 4K IPS vs a 1080p TN display as well.

Why do you think Macbook is popular? How many of those with Macbook are unhappy with the 2880x1800 display? Extremely few...Are those stupid? No. Are there reasons to believe that these would highly disagree with octiceps and take offence that he called them stupid? Absolutely.

People need to be more open minded

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Way to totally miss the points of my post and resort to name calling, but you are good at that

triturbo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.