17" 4K 3840x2160 IPS display incoming!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah... Throw A/C at that four banger...

Seriously... 2K doesn't work. 4K is even worse. If you can deal with input lag and all that... Good on you... Don't mess it up for the rest of us.

2. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    someone else said it first lol. I'd be okay with a 15 inch 4k display. 17 inches would just allow sli gpus and be nicer for movies. i don't know why everyone complains so much about 4k on a small screen. windows 10 does a decent job with scaling, and even applications that don't scale very well, i can see fine. yeah the text is smaller and crisp, but i guess it's because i'm only 23 and have really good eyes.

3. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Saw my first 3K screen on Gigabyte P35W and Arorus X5... It is too much for 15.6" however for 17.3", 3K will be fine...

stamar likes this.
  4. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the 15 inch macbook pros are like 3.5k displays and i don't think i've ever heard anyone says '' i hate these retina display macbooks!''

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    15" rMBP is 2880x1800 and OS X defaults to 200% scaling so you get the same viewable area as 1440x900

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    So what exactly is the point? It's 1440 x 900 but twice as crisp? >__>

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Pretty much. Apple led the charge of "let's make pixels so small you can't see them with your nose pressed against the display" with few functional benefits.

8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Apple... makes it so very very difficult for me to not hate them.

TomJGX, Ethrem and Prema like this.
  9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It was actually nice in the beginning. You can actually see the difference between older iPhones and anything above iPhone 4 - smooth fonts, crisp picture. It just happened that everyone else went ballistic from there on - 1080p?! 4k @ 5"?!?!@#$!# As for the Retina MacBooks, they just render pixels differently than Windows machines and it is actually smoother at double res. I guess then the marketing department came in (shocker) and said "We'll list it as 2880x1800 even though users wont be able to use it this res (without mods that is)". Windows is really terrible at high DPi with some scaling involved. That's why 2560x1600 @17" would be perfect for me.. but who's asking me (or us, the minor minority)...

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    True, and the colors and calibration of the Retina screens were much better than the non-Retina ones. I don't blame Apple for starting the HiDPI trend because they handled it elegantly and understood the point of finishing returns, but I blame the Android and Wintel makers for turning it into an arms race and dick measuring contest even before their OS and apps/software were ready.

D2 Ultima and triturbo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.