17.3 touchscreen, 1080p+, Performance above 980m and 4940mx, no gaming look

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Spring1898, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    Not in a rush to upgrade just curious as to what is on the market now or in the future. I have been out of the laptop game for a long time due to being busy and less mobile, so using desktop more. But I may start moving again in the near future. Generally though, I think my hardware is still pretty relevant.
    Just wondering whether anything can match the combination of options I already have:

Dell M6800 Precision Mobile Workstation
    i7-4900mq, can upgrade to 4940mx if I feel bold (for an extra 5% at stock clocks, lol),

GTX 780m, New 980m is en route but that is the limit of the performance upgrade as the base is not compatible with Pascal.

2 HDD slot and one mSATA (one is removable just by sliding switch under battery to release drive tray on side of notebook, not plug and play but very helpful)

Up to 32gb of DDR3

"Only" 1080p matte display (90% NTSC), but has touchscreen capability which I use a lot (it's gotten to the point where I try to touch non-touch screens without realizing it)

Battery life with Optimus in microsoft office environment approaches 6-8Hrs depending on wifi usage. Hugely helpful. With 2 (removable) batteries I can easily get through entire day using the computer without a plug.

Rugged magnesium body still under 9lbs and 16x10.5x1.7" (smallest full-powered mobile workstation at the time so still fits in most 17.3" bags)

Simple look, does not scream gamer, most people think it is really old laptop because of the size (well, it actually is getting old now...)

So performance when I want it, but efficiency when I don't
    Touchscreen, size, and appearance seem to be where most contenders I have looked at fail, including Dell's own 7710 MWS

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're not using your machine as much as you used to, what you have and what you are upgrading to in terms of the GPU, should still suit you well for at least another 12-24 months, maybe longer.

3. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well that decision just became more pertinent.

The M6800 was inside a bag on the back of a motorcycle when the strap failed and the bag hit the road at 65km/h (40mph).
    Bag is ruined from the road, zippers torn open and computer on the ground. Hit the left bottom corner hard taking out part of the removable bottom plate and the part of the CPU heatsink and bending the corner plate of the magnesium shell 90' away from the body. Battery no where to be found.
    The laptop is not straight but not terribly bent and the screen stayed latched closed.
    Touchscreen is cracked all through.

The computer looks totaled. The body damage alone means it is not repairable to be functional as a portable machine.

Against better judgement I decided to bring the computer upstairs and turn it on.
    Surprise! it still turns on and the LCD screen even works. I had to disable the touchscreen though as it kept acting strange because of the cracks. That is mobile workstation build quality. I am tempted to not part it out and just try to bend the body back so it sits somewhat level and use it as an attached "desktop" in the shop.

So the decision, to buy replacement M6800 for about $1000 (since I have upgrade parts on the way), or is there something else better than all the points I laid out above?

20170410_231838_resized.jpg
    This is the worst corner

20170410_232002_resized.jpg
    Doesn't show all the cracks

20170410_232121_resized.jpg
    But it still turns on!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.