17.3 laptop with Amd Desktop Cpu & QHD-4K min 120Hz panel

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by jellygood, Dec 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jellygood

jellygood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So basically, I'm looking for a laptop with AMD desktop Rryzen 9 5600-5700-5800 cpus and a Nvidia 3XXX or Radeon RX6000. I know there is nothing out yet, do you guys have any idea when they would be out and which brands would be the first to get them out? According to @XMG , there's no plan yet for them to come out with an 17.3 variant of XMG APEX..

1) What is your budget?
    2500 €
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Europe
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager,Clevo,TongFang, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: Asus, Msi, Dell
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Coding, Machine Learning, Casual Gaming
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Not really
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yep
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesnt matterr
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Web
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Dual Boot Linux & Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    QHD, 4K 120Hz. min
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within 4 months
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5+ years
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    2 weeks
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Ok to ship

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're looking at late Q1 or sometime in Q2 for availability of any such machine, should it exist ...the desktop AMD processor is a bigger variable than the new GPUs. Watch the CES 2021 coverage; the chances are that whatever you are look for will be announced there.

Charles

Papusan and jellygood like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't think they will put a desktop chip into a laptop because of the cooling and power needs of said chip. Would be terrible.

4. jellygood

jellygood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @XMG did it with their Apex series, albeit for 15" series. I never understand why they don't do the same for 17", as there's more air circulation available in that form factor..

kojack likes this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OP, as a long time owner and user of these kinds of units, my general advice is to think really, really, really hard why a desktop isn't an acceptable choice when the unit isn't going to leave it's desk.

For me, moving between multiple workplaces in an era before cloud everythingggg was the reason

There have been models using desktop chips and chipsets since forever. It's a niche product as because of the high end market positioning (and therefore cost) and cooling, they are biiiig. Like my P870 which is 2 inches thick and 6kg+ and needs another 2kg+ of power supplies

The 7nm Ryzens would also be easier to cool than the 14nm++++ dinosaurs (needing 200W+ turbo to keep up) that Intel are putting out these days

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    jellygood likes this.