16gb ram vs 32gb ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    I meant XPS 15 9500 (2020).
    And/or it may be soldered. If @Drew1 wants to transfer the RAM to a newer XPS, he's stuck with current-gen 9500 at best.
    Why would 2933 or 3200 be any different in this regard from other frequencies? @Drew1 will just need to pick the modules with higher CAS latency and pray they work fine, just like with any 2133/2400/2666 module, no?

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If u had noticed, AMD Ryzen 4000 systems are mostly shipped with highest @ 3200mhz RAMs and minimum of 2666mhz RAMs. 2933mhz falls in between, and we've not yet see any OEMs shipping these with the Ryzen CPUs except 10th Gen Comet Lake(which also works with 2666mhz RAMs) and Ice Lake CPUs.

Conservatively, I would use the default factory supplied RAM specification as a reference for own upgrade. However, considering that clocking speed of RAM will hv some kind of effect(shared memory with iGPU and general processing) on system performance, i won't reject the idea of getting those higher spec'ed ones which can be different from my default to try on for better computing experience.

Too many types of RAMs in the market will make one who DIY on upgrading their system falls easily into hiccups. Even though i had tried with a DDR3 system sometime back, the incompatibility issues will still be there, where i suspect got to do with voltage? Or perhaps something else...

3. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Ed. Yang any memory will run at 2133MHz in @Drew1 's XPS 9550, because Skylake. It won't run any faster than that.

FWIW 3200MHz would be my choice too, but in XPS 15 9500 it will run at 2933MHz anyway.

Vasudev and Aivxtla like this.
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

In amazon reviews, most ppl who said it works with the 9550 said they used the 2400 mhz, so is that fine then? The higher the number, the faster it is right?

Only other options are 2666 and 3200 but in all the amazon reviews, like almost every who had the 9550 said they bought the 2400... but the 2666 and 3200 is guaranteed to work?

5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I keep hearing people talk about ryzen... those are deskstop processors right?

So its fine with the 2400 mt/s? I did check prices for the 2666 and 3200 and those are much higher than the 2400 mt/s. On amazon like of 10 plus users who reviewed this crucial ram, like majority of them bought the 2400mt/s... few got the 3200 and 2666. So its fine with the 2400 mt/s?

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you buy higher speed memory than the system can support, the computer will automatically adjust itself to accommodate. The differences in speed are not noticeable, especially on an older machine, so it's not worth spending extra money.

Vasudev, Aivxtla and Starlight5 like this.
  7. Starlight5

Reputations:
    The higher the number, the faster as long as motherboard supports it. For your XPS 15 9550 which is limited to 2133 MHz, it makes no difference whether RAM will be 2133, 2400, 3200 - it will run at 2133 no matter what, so purchasing the cheapest option is totally justified.

If you decide to keep the RAM for next machine, 3200 would be better - but that's kinda pointless since you don't know exactly which machine exactly you'll have next, so just getting the cheapest RAM that works for your current machine is a better solution.

Ryzen are current AMD processors, desktop and mobile. They are arguably better than anything Intel has to offer at the moment.

Yes, it's fine. Since your machine is known to have memory compatibility problems, make sure the seller you end up buying from accept returns, just in case. But overall I'm pretty sure all will be OK.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Thanks. I will stick with the 2400 then.

One other issue i have. Starlight.. im decrypting my ssd right now so i could clone it. I posted the question in my other thread. But if my ssd is over 200gb... how long should it take before it gets fully decrypted? I clicked on turn off bitlocker earlier and it still shows as decrypting... i assume many hours?

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also you still use bitlocker right now starlight? I know you helped me a lot when setting it up a year ago or so.

10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Hours, and longer than necessary if it wasn't OP'd and is now almost full.