16gb ram vs 32gb ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I am pretty sure i have 2 x 4gb sticks so 8gb total. Well i heard its not good to do things like that where you have 4gb and 8gb on the other or like 8gb and 16gb etc because it doesn't match?

But 16gb should be almost more than good enough for everyone right? I mean on avg i use 6.5gb/7.9gb when im doing my thing. So if i use 16gb ram, it would show 6.55gb/15.8gb or so? Or it would show like 10gb/15.8gb because the more ram you have, the more it uses?

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's about compatibility of the RAM on clock speed that matters, first in observation before buying.
    Size wise can be different, however it's often suggestible that the first channel be lower than the 2nd channel, such that hiccups can be shunned. My Lenovo L340 comes with 4GB 2400MHz soldered on board, and i put in a 8GB 2400MHz RAM to the one and only SODIMM slot available in the system. No problemo for me for the last 1yr of usage.

Starlight5 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    It may be questionable when comparing extremes e.g. 2x 16GB vs 4GB+32GB, but otherwise it's good, e.g. 8GB+16GB is better than 2x 8GB.
    It depends. If you do heavy browsing, second scenario is more likely, but you'll get better experience (because less caching) overall.

Drew1 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me this seems to be the case with browsing and general idle windows. Chrome is the biggest consumer by far but, when I was on 16GB the system tended to sit around 8-10 in use w/o restarting chrome to purge things. After a chrome restart and not loading all of the pages it would drop to about 6GB.

With 32GB things tend to sit in the 8-10 while idle and fully loaded ~15GB when nothing else changed other than the doubling of RAM. Chrome tends to have a leak and sometimes can boost the in use to 20GB due to 1 tab just incrementally chewing up more ram as time goes on. Of course to purge things just open the chrome task manager and sort by memory to kill the offending tab.

If coders would fix issues like this the average person could get away with far less ram without seeing bloat issues that make it simpler to add more resources than deal with the issue.

5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Okay got a question here then. So if i plan to use this laptop for at least 2-3 years minimum, would you upgrade to 32gb or just 16gb? Price is like $63 for 16gb upgrade... $124 for 32gb upgrade. I did saw a site where I could get a 32gb for $109 though. So that would be like $46 more.

So if the price to go from 16gb is $63 but can find 32gb at $124.... well that is double the price

but

If 16gb is $63 or instead 32gb is $109, is it a non brainer to go to 32gb?

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey there, with the prices i listed... would you say upgrade to 32gb ram if its $109 to do it as oppose to $124? The thing is i can afford it... but i always thought... well if i never need it, whats the point?

Then again, 7 years ago when i got a 2.5 inch samsung sata ssd... i got the 250gb one because i thought i would never need 500gb or more. But the only reason why the 250gb is filling up is because i been using it since late 2016 so around 4 years or so and did not delete anything. Previously before that, the laptops before that... it never hit anywhere near 250gb... it was at most half.

Also if i do get a new laptop in future, well it will definitely not be configured with 32gb ram. So it make sense to upgrade now to 32gb ram so if i buy a new laptop in future, i can always put this ram into the new ram of 32gb?

7. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are unlikely to be able to move the ram into your new laptop - currently, most laptops are using DDR4 ram, rather than the DDR3 in your current laptop - and, by the time you are ready to upgrade, the standard may well have moved further. However, the 32 GB option might well allow you to live with your present machine for longer, at a very reasonable price.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My current xps 15 9550 uses ddr4 ram though... so wouldn't i be able to move it to a new one?

9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It all depends on the next 1000+ days or so of ur daily usage, how much snappiness would u want ur system to perform and in return gives u the kind of expectations u wish by deciding on the size u upgrade...

Next yr, with 11th Gen Intel, RAM clocking speed will go above 4000mhz mark, and we hv no idea what kind of system will Ryzen 5ks demand as minimum requirement. By the time ur 1000days journey ends with the RAM upgrade today, where will u be then? What kind of computing will be norm? ARM? Or still the good old x86? Do we need that much or fast RAM as OSes evolves?

10. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Possibly - unless the standard has moved to DDR6, or much higher speed ram. Of course, by then, laptops may come with 128 GB standard. :)

ellalan likes this.