16gb ram vs 32gb ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have 8gb and will be upgrading to 16gb ram. But then i saw how there is 32gb ram ... price is double that of 16gb ram.

Now is there any point of upgrading a laptop to 32gb ram? Or its a complete waste? Laptop is an old machine Dell xps 15 9550 i5-6300hq.

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The RAM of your make is the early type of DDR4 @ 2133mhz. It's not that comparable to current heights of DDR4 2933mhz and 3200mhz, hence, it is suggestible that u get the upgrade to 32GB.
    However, before u proceed with the upgrade, ask urself how long would u foresee that this is going to be working till it's end of days considering that this is roughly 4 or 5yrs of age.

The batteries would be in it's last journey now.

If u are considering to put it as ur desktop replacement, i would encourage that u go for it.

MKazmer, Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just went from 16 to 32 and it was worthwhile since the 32gb was ~ $100 which is about 30% less than price the original 16gb upgrade cost was.

I have issues with the multiple tabs being open in Chrome and having them die and needing to refresh them when I was at 16gb. It happens a lot less frequently now with 32gb and I don't have to kill off chrome processes to open other things like games or other programs multiple times w/ crashes like before. Before spotting the cheaper memory I wouldn't had considered needing 32gb but the price was too good to resist the upgrade.

MKazmer and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    What is the price of the 16GB RAM upgrade?

5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I paid $133 on ebay for the 16gb but more recently paid $89.99 for the 32gb set with a discount using Chase or Amex.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Depends on how long you expect to be using this laptop and for what exactly.
    Having more RAM doesn't hurt (obviously).
    8GB is a bare minimum ... but Windows does seem to prefer 16GB as do games, etc.

If you're not planning on replacing the laptop too soon (say in the next two years), then sure, go for 32GB... however, if you are planning on replacing the machine within the next year and half (or two), then probably 16GB to minimize the cost.

Ultimately, it will (again) depend on what you use the laptop for, so going for 32GB might be beneficial (but only if you're not planning on buying a new one in the next year or two).

8. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really depends on what you're doing with it... But just imo, 32GB is worth it. It's the maximum upgrade, and you can squeeze some more performance out of the processor by undervolting/overclocking it.

Should last a decent amount of time and you can recoup the cost if you sell the laptop later on (32GB on a used machine looks more attractive to buyers).

9. MyHandsAreBurning

MyHandsAreBurning Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    IMO, get the 32GB. As jotm said you can leave it in to make selling your used laptop easier down the line, or you can just take the ram out and put it into your next laptop (unless you see yourself wanting 64gb one day in your next machine which is unlikely).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  10. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @Drew1 do you have 2x 4GB sticks, or single 8GB? If the latter, just add a 16GB stick. 24GB is a nice compromise, and you can always replace the 8GB stick with another 16GB or 32GB if you understand you need more.

FWIW I still use a laptop of the same vintage as yours, with 32GB RAM. I'd put 64GB in it - but it only has single SO-DIMM slot, so 32GB is as much as I can get. But I have a use case for such high RAM consumption (hundreds of tabs across multiple browsers), depending on your usage scenario you may be fine with 16GB.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.