16GB+ RAM, dedicated graphics, matte screen, thin

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dandv, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think this sounds like a case made for Asus UX410UQ:

- Thin
    - Light
    - Available with 16GB of ram
    - Sports a dgpu (GT940MX)
    - 1080p IPS screen
    - 14" in the chassis of a 13-incher

The screen doesn't appear matte but it's been said to be a good one.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You might be interested in the Samsung NP900X5N. It's a 15.0" notebook with a footprint little larger than a 14".

John

3. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was it so that this model was unlikely to be made available in Europe?

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You are correct. I have seen no indication that Samsung is planning to officially resume selling its notebooks in Europe although I would expect some US sellers will offer the notebooks to European customers.

John

Critical Observer likes this.
  5. dandv

dandv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck has just released a comprehensive review of the Dell XPS 9560. Up to 32GB RAM is great. 4.3lbs less so. Interesting how it actually appears to be twice as thick as a 15" MBP. But I don't get why they kept the keyboard as crammed as on the XPS13. PgUp/Down would be great - I switch a lot among browser tabs with Ctlr+PgUp/PgDn.

Wow, the Razer Blade released yesterday sure is nice. Matted 1080p display, 16GB RAM, overly cool backlit keyboard, 1TB SSD at 4.1lbs. The "Killer Wireless" that "automatically detects, classifies and [etc... I couldn't copy/paste from the darn site] gaming, video and audio network traffic" is either scary, bunk or hype. Most traffic goes through HTTPS nowadays, so if the wireless adapter can somehow MITM and decrypt packets to figure out what's being transmitted, that's a scandal waiting to happen. What they could do is intercept DNS requests for YouTube.com and other popular video sites, then prioritize traffic to those IPs.

18mm thin is about the same as my 20mm old DELL E7450, but for packing that CPU and GPU and storage punch, it's pretty awesome.

However, the Precision 5520, "world's lightest 15-inch mobile workstation in a 14" chasis" is even more interested. Only 11mm thick! Still, I don't get why they still cram the keyboard so much :-/

The MSI 63-BR-6RF is totally for gamers (has a cloth bottom to prevent burns!) so I'll underutilize it, but I like the keypad. Amazon reviews are a little shabby (3.5/5).

The Latitude E7470 is about a year old, and doesn't have discrete graphics.

The Asus UX410UQ looks nice, the panel is "anti-glare", but it's really weird that it still has 2 USB 2.0 ports, and there's no release date...

UPDATE 2017-Sep: a July reviewed showed it suffers from poor cooling - the fans are always on.

Very interesting. Only 1.8lbs and a keyboard with PgUp/PgDn. Can't tell if the display is matte or glossy though, and Amazon product information is notoriously shoddy.

Now if only I could test drive all of them at once for about a week...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. ichangedmyname

ichangedmyname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Xps 15 9550/9560 and precision 5510/5520 is essentially same chasis. Overall dimension should be same.
    Xps 15 is size of 14" laptop as well and its thinnest part is 11mm thick too. Because its the same chasis

Dell xps 15 (not precision) and some other laptops have killer wireless card and i hate it to be honest. Sometimes, it keeps disconnecting and sometimes, it disappears on my device manager. I prefer intel wireless over killer. Its pretty easy to swap it though and only costs like $20 and a t5 (torx) screwdriver.

Msi gs63's cloth finish wears out though.

Samsung np900x5n only has gt940mx and ulv i7.

Not sure about asus

7. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What about something like the Asus UX303?

13" 1080p option (up to qHD)
    I7 cpu
    Nvidia 940

ram and SSD are replaceable/upgradable

Top end model maxes out around 1200 in the US, which is pretty reasonable.

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You might consider an HP Zbook Studio G3. It has similar specifications as the Dell Precision M5510, but has a better keyboard layout with dedicated Home / End / Pg Up / Pg Dn keys. I have the model with a 6700HQ and no dedicated graphics. It can run multiple display setups very well under Linux. HP also offers it with an optional Nvidia Quadro M1000M GPU, which has a bios option to run as the only GPU. That is generally preferred under Linux so no tearing will occur as with an Optimus setup. If you have any questions about this machine feel free to ask. I currently have Windows 7 installed on mine but may put Linux back on it again soon.

9. dandv

dandv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, so half a year later, any better candidates than these?

The next ASUS ZenBook in the category after the UX410UQ seems to be UX430UQ, but I can't figure out if the display is matte or glossy. The tech page linked earlier says "14″ NanoEdge anti-glare LED-backlit", but when you actually want to buy the thing, Costco's page says it's glossy. There's also a UX430UN version with NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 instead of the 940MX of the Q.

Unfortunately, the ZBook Studio G3 is very noisy. Its successor, the G4, still runs hot and has poor battery life.

10. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check out the Asus ux501 or g501. Both have 1080p matte screen options and has the 960m, great cooling, and a quad professor.

I picked a gently used g501 up for 650 bucks. I aside from the words Republic of gamers on it I find it subtle for a gaming machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.