1660Ti Max-Q vs 2060 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by bierdc, Oct 13, 2020.

1. bierdc

bierdc Newbie

Reputations:
    Howdy.

I'm shopping for a new notebook. My current is an Alienware 15R4 with an i7 and 1060. It continues to be the most reliable, durable computer I've ever owned, and I could probably have continued using it for a good two or three years before I feel limited by its midrange-four-years-ago graphics.. but I've been seduced by newer, thinner form factors with tiny bezels, so I'm ready to retire it to media-server duty.

I know it's not a gaming laptop, but I'm interested in the HP Envy 15 for its premium-design/quality, subtlety, and reasonable capability with glowing reviews. My instinct is to opt for the 2060 Max-Q as it's the newest option available, but unfortunately it's only paired with the OLED screen (I'm NOT a fan Samsung's panel). The other option is a 1660Ti Max-Q. I'm having a hard time finding a straight answer on how they perform against each other as it pertains to laptops, both in Max-Q form.

All-else equal, what kind of performance difference could I expect between a 1660Ti Max-Q and a 2060 Max-Q (at 1080p without ray-tracing)?
    Bonus questions: Am I remiss for shopping Turing-card laptops right now? When are the midrange 3000 cards expected to reach laptops? Do you think the performance gain for the price will be worth the wait for a moderate-gamer who was still satisfied with his 1060?

2. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    bierdc and JRE84 like this.
  3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The RTX 2060 Max-q is faster but not by much, I'll say about 5-10% over the GTX 1660Ti Max-q.

Mid range Ampere laptop GPUs will probably released in Q2 2021 or later if you can wait that long.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    quick question?

I have a gtx 1060 that I run at half speed aka a 1050ti and it plays all games with decent settings and 1080p? any particular reason why you want to upgrade besides the fact the gpu is 4 years old? I say run it to the ground and hold out for the 3080 mobile or 3060 pending prices.

bierdc and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The performance gain will definitely be worth the wait. Turing is a comparatively minor bump over Pascal; Ampere is a huge jump over Pascal. I'm still playing on a 1060 myself and enjoying it; I'm holding out for a 3000-series upgrade. Laptops with 3000-series GPUs will most likely hit the market next year. If you're satisfied right now with your 1060, I strongly encourage you to stick with it until you can get a laptop with a 3060 or higher. You'll be getting a far better performance increase for the amount of money you'll be spending.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would have to agree, stick it out till spring-summer 2021. I think somewhere between March and May sounds like a safe bet for Ampere laptop silicon.

7. bierdc

bierdc Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you all for your input.

I want to upgrade not because the GPU is older (as I mentioned, I'm actually still quite happy with it), but rather because gaming-oriented laptops have made strides lately with regards to weight and thinness.. and I'm a sucker for thin bezels. I also want a more modest appearance, something unsuspecting-but-classy in a public/office setting. The Alienware was pretty good for its day, but it's a chunker by today's standards. When I bought it, I actually didn't think it would become my daily device.

Something that I didn't mention is that for the past month, I've been working with a Razer Blade 17 Pro/2080 Super Max-Q. It's perfect for me, especially since I was able to get it during a good sale. I've been getting ready to return it, though, because it crashes every time it attempts to resume from sleep (only when I'm using my own 2x M.2s in RAID0). I bring this up now because I've actually made potentially big progress today that has me more hopeful than ever that it can be solved. In the event that I still can't get it working right, y'all have convinced me that the wait for Ampere is probably worthwhile.

Prototime and JRE84 like this.
  8. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    POS anything razer

9. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Totally off-topic, but why people do such things like RAID 0 two NVMe SSD? There is virtually zero performance gain in most of cases. You just double the risk of hardware failure.

Even the difference between super fast NVMe versus SATA III SSD is negligible in real world use (loading games, OS, apps, etc) :

10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My guess is that it's for bragging rights.

I'm looking forward to Ampere's implementation of I/O Directstorage, which may finally make NVMe drives worth it for gaming.