16/17" Gaming Laptop on a Budget?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Locker420, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locker420

Locker420 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Extremely experienced programmer and gamer looking for a reasonably priced gaming machine. I'm replacing my older Compal HEL80 which I've really enjoyed except for the constant disconnection of my bluetooth mice.

I'm much more interested in a good video card and enough RAM than I am in the latest and greatest CPU. I prefer NVidia graphics unless there is some superior ATI solution for a better price point.

Anyway here is the lowdown...

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$750 - $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Compal, Lenovo, Asus,
    b. Dislike: Lower quality brands

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming
    A/V

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Mostly keep at home.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

YES!
    FPS, MMO and other graphics heavy titles

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not critical

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. If you are unsure of what to purchase, we would highly recommend you check some notebook screens before you buy to see what you like. You may also wish to take a look at the notebook screen guide for more information.

* Midrange Resolutions: WXGA+, HD+, 900p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

I prefer matte but it's not a deal breaker

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not a primary concern

15) When are you buying this laptop?

30 day window

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

500GB minimum, no SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

DVD Burner, Blue ray not required

2. Locker420

Reputations:
    No love?

Something wrong with my layout? Budget too low maybe? I'll take any feedback! Thanks ya'll.

3. Andanzas

Andanzas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your preferred screen size are 16" or 17", then? Maybe that's part of the problem. I don't know why, but right now it seems easier to find good deals on laptops with 15.6" or even 18.4" screens.

Is the ATI 5650 good enough for you? You can see here how it performs with certain games: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - Notebookcheck.net Tech. If you think you can be happy with that performance, check out this Acer: Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS7741G-7017 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

The new Dell XPS 17 starts at $950 and features a Geforce 435M. It's a new graphic card, so there are not reliable benchmarks yet, but I would be surprised if it doesn't perform better than the 5650. Still, it's only a midrange card, like the 5650.

I don't know many 16 inchers. The F series is out of your budget. The Toshibas A665 could be an option, but they have a very low resolution and I think that would be a deal breaker for you, as you are used to a WSXGA+ screen. Anyway, they are not really gaming machines, either of them.

Take a look at the Dell XPS 17. I can't think of anything better that fits your budget. Dell just released this model yesterday, so you might want to wait a few days to read the first reviews before ordering.

4. kutthoat5150

kutthoat5150 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you don't mind refurbished, you can find an Asus G73 for around $870 on Newegg, and various other sites that sell refurbished models. I would say that would be good for you for a few years down the road since it has one of the best single video cards you can get in a laptop today.

5. Locker420

Reputations:
    Andanzas and kutthoat5150 I really appreciate your feedback. You've given me some good information to go on and it will help a lot.

Thanks again guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.