$1500 / $2000 17" gaming (and lightweight) notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by gazparov, Oct 4, 2019.

1. gazparov

gazparov Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, thanks for helping!

I'm going to the United States in November and I'm going to buy a new notebook. I'm just not sure exactly which. ATM I have an MSI 73vr 6RE Titan 17" I bought on HIDevolution 3 years ago, so I'm looking for something similar in performance and screen size, but less heavy (this one is really huge and bulky)

1) What is your budget?
    Something between $1500 / $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    17" (but thin and light)
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United States
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I travel quite often, so I take the computer with me all the time, but I only use it at home, so it's always connected to the wall, that's why I don't care about the battery, as I will never use it unplugged, but since I move it a lot, I care about the weight and overall chassis resistance.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    All games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Don't care about the battery. It will be always connected to the wall.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p (120Hz/144Hz)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte / Non-Glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    November 2019

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3 years

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    MSI's GS75 Stealth will push your budget but is very thin and light for a 17.3-inch notebook.

I'd consider going down to a 15.6-inch screen. A smaller notebook is better suited to withstand travel because its chassis won't be as susceptible to flexing. If you stick with 17.3", at least get a sleeve/bag that has some reinforcement so the notebook isn't subjected to all the forces of travel.

Charles

Aivxtla and Spartan like this.