15" Series 9 NP900X4D discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Thors.Hammer, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    SRS 6 with the Windows 8 notebooks has the cloning capability. I'm not sure about SRS 5.

I've usually used Acronis directly cloning onto the new mSATA SSD in an mSATA-USB adapter. This breaks the F4-recovery link on the new SSD but I then delete the recovery partition (Minitool Partition Wizard is recommended) in the knowledge that I've still got the original SSD which can be cloned again if Windows falls over.

Some SSD manufacturers provide a free cloning software (eg Samsung's data migration software) which anyone can download but it will only work if it detects the required brand of SSD as the target.

John

2. Garbanzo Bill

Garbanzo Bill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, so doable, but a little bit of research before buying stuff and opening the laptop.

Thank you guys!

3. aarcane

aarcane Newbie

Reputations:
    So can anyone confirm whether 1.35V RAM works with P10ABK yet or not? I've been running 1.35V since I got my np900X4C, and I want to make sure everything is optimal, but without this answer, I've been stuck at P08ABK for a few years now.

4. m4rtin

m4rtin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Samsung NP900X4D laptop with UEFI version P02ABK which detects "Windows Boot Manager" as an only bootable device in "Boot Menu":

[​IMG]

I have loaded the UEFI setup defaults and disabled "Fast BIOS Mode", but I'm still not able to boot from any other device, e.g USB or PXE or SD card. I found a similar problem here. I also removed the CMOS battery for few minutes which did reset the UEFI settings, but unfortunately the "Boot Menu" still does not list any other bootable devices. Please let me know if any additional information is needed.
    Has anyone seen such behavior? How to fix this?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    P02ABK is a very out of date BIOS. The most recent is P10ABK. Samsung have produced more than the usual number of BIOS updates for these UEFI-enabled notebooks because of various bugs and vulnerabilities to bricking.

However, the challenge is to load the new BIOS now that you have problems. However, people have been in worse situations and eventually resurrected their notebooks. Perhaps first read this thread then this (the Z5C has a very similar BIOS to your X4D) and finally this.

John

6. m4rtin

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply! I have access to Windows Command Prompt(seems to be part of Windows recovery) where I can access the FAT32 file-system on USB flash drive and execute utilities for x86-64 architecture(executables compiled to 32 bit Windows will fail). Am I correct that as a next step I shuld run sflash64 /patch /cvar which clears the BIOS viariables/settings and if this does not help, then execute sflash64 /n /s /sa /ips /file latest-BIOS-image.rom in order to upgrade the BIOS? If yes, then where could I find the sflash64 utility and image for P10ABK BIOS version? If I select the Firmware download in Samsung support site, then it provides me 2.1MB BIOS update file, which I extracted, but it does not contain the sflash64 nor the ROM file. Looks like this Samsung System BIOS update will download the sflash64 and BIOS image, but as I can't boot into OS in my NP900X4D, then maybe some NP900X4D owner could download the sflash64 and BIOS image files for me and upload those to some file-hosting ;)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  7. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You want to identify, download and extract the latest BIOS update file for your model, following the exact steps in isosunrise's guide in the roll-back thread. Then copy the extracted contents to a folder on the SSD or a USB stick or memory card -- anything you can access from that Recovery command prompt.

Then use the sflash64 /patch /cvar command to clear the corrupted NVRAM. If there is no sflash64/32 in your extracted BIOS update package, WinFlash should work as well, according to reports. Some BIOS update packages only have afuwinx64, for which we don't yet have a confirmed way to clear the NVRAM.

Once you (hopefully) have been able to do this, I recommend you reset BIOS (F2) to default settings, after which the computer should start behaving normally again, including boot devices.

As John pointed out, you should probably update to a more recent BIOS, particularly if you want to install Win8.x or newer. You can indeed do that from the command line as well (as you indicated) and that in itself will usually clear any NRAM corruption.

@Fitztorious' thread (here -- the 2nd link in John's post) has the most exhaustive discussion of this problem and its solutions. There is a summary in post #7, but much useful discussion was added after that summary as well.

8. m4rtin

Reputations:
    Thank you for all those instructions! As I wasn't able to identify the latest BIOS update file for my NP900X4D-A02EE, I downloaded the one for my current P02ABK BIOS: ITEM_20120927_713_WIN_P02ABK.exe. I extracted the exe file and copied SFlash64 utility to USB flash drive which I used in cmd of Windows recovery. However, the SFlash64 fails with "ERROR 220 - Failed at power status check! Status = 171.":

[​IMG]

I tried with both AC adapter connected and with AC adapter not connected. Has anyone seen this before? Maybe I should try with a newer SFlash64 version? I tried to find the latest BIOS update for my model, but the URL in isosunrise post did not work for me. I tried with:

HTML:
    http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/BUWebServiceProc.asmx/GetContents?platformID=A02&PartNumber=AAAA

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wonder if the problem might be that the Windows Recovery environment doesn't have the necessary drivers to support access to the BIOS and NVRAM, and that is why SFlash64 fails. You could try SFlash32 instead, or WinFlash (if that is included).

As for getting the latest BIOS version, your platform ID is ABK (not A02) yielding the following URL:

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/BUWebServiceProc.asmx/GetContents?platformID=ABK&PartNumber=AAAA

This shows you that the latest BIOS update is ITEM_20131114_21268_WIN_P10ABK.exe which can then be downloaded with the following URL:

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/upload/BIOSUpdateItem/ITEM_20131114_21268_WIN_P10ABK.exe

You already know how to extract it, as described by @isosunrise :)

For others who might see this: All of this downloading and extracting of the BIOS files can be done on any computer. Just be careful NOT to proceed with the actual flashing once you've saved the extracted files.

10. m4rtin

Reputations:
    SFlash64 v1.3.25.13-1.2 worked:

[​IMG]

Now I'm able to select devices from Boot Menu:

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help! However, if I would like to upgrade the UEFI from P02ABK to P10ABK, then can I do this from this very same Windows Recovery cmd if my BIOS update does not contain the ROM file and contains only the P10ABK.cap file:

[​IMG]

Can I run sflash64 /n /s /sa /ips /file P10ABK.cap?

Dannemand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.