15" RTX 2060 Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by accordion, May 19, 2019.

1. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    1800USD, the lower the better

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Clevo or Tongfang chassis, not really interested in anything else.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, CAD programs (Revit, Civil3D), music production/DAW, storage (music, movies), everyday use

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, but will almost always be hooked up to external monitor/keyboard when gaming

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, I would like the laptop to be able to run AAA games on medium settings 4 years from now, as my current 970m P650SE can.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    No preference

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    No preference, will game/work using external monitor

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    No preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Would highly prefer the option of having no logos at all, not even the reseller logo.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Minimum 500GB SSD for OS drive and 1TB HDD for storage

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within two weeks

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A while, have backup

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Acceptable to ship

I am currently deciding between four options:

1.) Eluktronics Mech-15 G2

Pros: Eluktroboost is appealing. Doesn't seem to have throttling issues like the P950/P960. Slightly better cooling than the Clevos. Mechanical keyboard.
    Cons: Lack of TIM options (is liquid metal a no-no in laptops?). No HDD bay but no SSHD option either, getting 1.5TBs of SSD would be expensive and unnecessary. Doesn't seem to offer a logo-less back cover. More expensive than Clevos unless ordered through HID without eluktroboost.

2.) Clevo P960RD/ED

Pros: More resellers to choose from. I've owned a P650SE from Prostar since 2015 with no problems. Option of pairing i7-8750H with RTX 2060 which seems like better value.
    Cons: Needs a lot of tweaking to draw max performance and avoid throttling. Worse cooling than the Tongfang chassis, but based on very limited information.

3.) Clevo P950ED
    Pros:
    Same as P960 except cheaper. Essentially trades a smaller chassis for a slightly better GPU (2070 max-q).
    Cons: Cooling probably isn't great though there's been no reviews. No RTX 2060 option, 2070 max Q seems like terrible value. Same throttling issues as the P960.

4.) Clevo NH55EDQ
    Pros
    : Price, nearly 20% cheaper with same specs. Cooling/noise/build quality all seem good for the price from one review.
    Cons: Lack of information. Sacrifices build quality and perhaps longevity, worse sound card.

I am currently leaning toward the Gentech P960RD as the spring promotion seems like good value. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What about a Lenovo Y740? They need very little work if anything to make them a great gaming machine straight away. They often have sales that will keep you well under your budget too. Plus a MUX switch so you'll have G-Sync or HSHybrid (Optimus) which is a feature ALL gaming laptops should consider having.

The Mech is great and I quite enjoyed those!

3. accordion

Reputations:
    The Lenovos look great but I wanna be able to get a 970 evo SSD and have the laptop back cover be completely blank. Thanks for reviewing the Mechs, I was set on Clevos until I watched them.

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I totally get it! Email Eluktronics and see if they can offer their Mech without their logo.

That’s one of the many things I like about HID is that I can get their EVOC (Clevo) builds in a sleeper look!

5. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Clevo p960 shouldn't throttle. I've had the P970EF which has the same cooling solution as the P960Ex, the P950 version has a different cooling solution. The heatsink is identical.
    See the Clevo P970 thread for my tests but I can tell that the CPU didn't throttle at all. It could handle CPU and GPU with fan speeds below 55% which makes it very quiet when gaming. Only dissadvantage is that the keyboard heats up pretty hard (measured temps above 45 degrees with ambient room temp 23 degrees).

@B0B , To which temp the keyboard heats up on the Tongfang chassis? I already ordered a 17" with 9750h and RTX2070 but I'm still wondering.

6. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like 30-41c. So much was cut or the final review and apparently that was part of it.

Master Stewie likes this.
  7. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    41 is warm but not hot. I pressume that the 17" has a bit more room and better cooling solution and will be same are cooler :). With some luck I will have my laptop this friday :).

8. accordion

Reputations:

Seems like the NH5x model is much better value than the P960?

9. Master Stewie

Reputations:
    The P960 is rather expensive given the 16" panel. The NH5X looks good indeed. After some tweaking and probably with limiting TDP to 45W it will be very quiet...

10. accordion

Reputations:
    Are there any reviews of a non elukteoboosted RTX Tongfang GK5? It's down to the HID 16GK5 with 8750h or the NH55 for me. The Tongfang chassis has better build quality and a mechanical keyboard that I don't particularly want or need. If they both have the same thermals and benchmarks then the price difference would be the deciding factor. The only drawbacks of the NH5x for me are that the build quality might lead to shortened lifespan and that the worse soundcard might mean having to get a DAC.

Last edited: May 22, 2019