15" gaming/work laptop durability...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Palespartan, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Palespartan

Palespartan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So as the titles says I'm looking for a 15" gaming/work laptop but the key is that it has to be durable since I will be throwing it into my backpack and literally tossing my backpack into the car and such. Basically I've narrowed it down to the gs63vr and the Sager np 8157. Open to other suggestions but please read the requirements first.

1) ~$2000 usd (less is always better but if I had to could stretch a bit more

2)15.6" (must have number pad but cant be any bigger)

3) USA Specifically northern California

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Always prefer something from a big brand with a warranty
    b. Dislike: nothing specifically at the moment but durability is a must

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Only if its exactly what I want and current model at a good discount.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming on the go (have a tower for at home) and daily work as an IT tech. (will be on the move from client to client often)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, as well as content consumption at home. (must be mobile)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes but a mix of games from rocket league to ark. I would be fine with a 1060 will only get a 1070 if the price is the same with no other compromises.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As many as possible as I don't want to be tied to a plug wile at a client. I know that either of the machines that i listed can be under-volted to about 4-4.5 hours of lightweight tasks that would be minim.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Would prefer but I'm asking you guys because I don't think that will be possible.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Have to run windows 10 pro for work.

Screen Specifics

12) Screen must be at least 1080 IPS. And am willing to stick to lower resolution to keep battery life but it must be IPS.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Don't mind between the two but must work in many lighting situations.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    can't be too loud with its gamer-ness if that makes sense. Will be used in a professional setting.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the month!

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    ~5 years but I don't expect it to still be running AAA games at that point very well but build quality needs to hold up.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Usual SSD boot of any size with about 1tb spinner.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No, its 2017... I think I'ill be fine.

2. Palespartan

Reputations:
    Ok I know I posted this a wile ago. But finally got out to a store to check out the gs63vr in person and the laptop definitely has a concerning amount of chassis flex. I have read that the lid on the sager also has some flex to it even though the base is sturdy and would definitely like some first hand opinions on that one since finding a local retailer with a Clevo chassis in stock seems to be really difficult (San Francisco bay area.) So I am considering living without the numberpad and possibly getting the Razer Blade since everything else about it seems to be perfect for my needs. If anyone has any personal input or possibly another laptop that would meet my requirements I am all ears. (and yes I already know about the QC issues and how difficult dealing with Razer support has been for most people.)

3. BlownFuze

BlownFuze Newbie

Reputations:
    My favorite part of your post is that you literally want to throw around a 2k laptop. Lol
    I just wanted to add that, yes the GS63 does have quite a bit of flex - you might want to take a look at the GT62 instead. Similar specs, but a little thicker.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    If you really are going to be throwing it, the Aorus X5 is a thin laptop with better durability than both the Clevo and GS63. The GS63 isn't that durable to begin with, the Clevo mostly is, but the lid is a bit weak.

Alienwares are also tough for gaming laptops.

If you want Razer, just buy from the MS Store or if you have the money to spare HID.

BlownFuze likes this.
  5. Palespartan

Reputations:
    I was thinking about the gt but it is really just too big to really be "portable" in my opinion at 40mm and others say that the bottom panel has a weak spot in the middle and the screen has more flex than they would like. And I wanted to make sure people knew that I'm clearly not that nice to my laptops.

That is definitely good to know that the MS Store is good too be a $300 premium to get it from hid definitely had me considering just dealing with razer and taking the gamble. The only issues with the Aorus would be the short battery life. I mean people have tried some very aggressive power setting with a good undervolt (which I'm convinced doesn't do much when your stuck with g-sync on all the time) and are barely getting over 4 hours. And with the lid on the Clevo how weak is it really since I cant see it in person a comparison to a big brand that I could find in a store would be nice for instance the hp omen is pretty bad. And also since I am pretty good with tools in someones lcd replacement guide for the Clevo I noticed there is just a lot of empty space behind the lid would it be possible to like glue in some acrylic reinforcement or something or is that a bit far fetched? And for the AW the 17 is just massive but the 15 still has a huge footprint compared to other 15" laptops and for some reason despite this dell doesn't believe anyone would want a number pad on a 15" laptop so if I have to give up the numpad anyways the razer is the one I would prefer to keep compact.

And thank you both for the help though. Might have to dig a bit more into the Aorus and see just how far someone can really stretch that battery life

BlownFuze likes this.
  6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Check Dell Outlet for the Precision 7510 / 7520. It will have the durability you are looking for.

John

7. Palespartan

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did look into the precision lineup. And found them to be awesome in every way except for the fact that the highest end graphics card it comes with is equivalent to about a 960m or a 965m. No where near the 1060 even that I was looking at.

8. yutzybrian

yutzybrian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He could get a custom foam lined Pelican case, that should hold up!

9. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can buy this and have durability, or buy a gaming laptop which is a lot less durable. Work or Gaming. No laptop does both without major compromise of some kind.

10. Palespartan

Reputations:
    Not entirely true considering the huge market of gaming laptops out there can can still be used in professional environments. And as mentioned above there are great options like the razer blade that will do both if your willing to sacrifice a num-pad, or the aorus if your willing to stay near an outlet, there are plenty of great options out there that will do almost everything I need and honestly if someone tells me the sager's lid is stronger than the current gen hp omen then that would be the perfect option. All of these laptops by the way without having to sacrifice (and I'm just guessing here) 40% or more gpu performance. The precision would be great for someone who needs the 10 bit support or ecc video ram or even just a certified graphics driver. But since my work would really only be cpu and possibly ram based and not even very intense on those I would like to not sacrifice gaming performance. The difference just comes down to what kind of work you need to do and the precision just Isn't the right one for me. Everything requires compromise to some extent but the precision is one hell of a compromise compared to the other great 15" machines listed already.

TL;DR: Thank you for the suggestion but I think there are better options out there.