15" College Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Al913, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Al913

Al913 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I currently have a Dell XPS 15 9560, so it's about 3 years old, the laptop has given me many software problems(had to factory reset 3x) but the past couple months I havent had any issues except the battery life. A couple months ago I only had 1 hour battery life from the 56w battery. Replaced it 3 months ago with a 96w battery but now I only get 1.5 hr battery life and this is on low brightness and just having chrome and some software. This is terrible when I have classes that I need my laptop back to back like this semester. I have a class needing it for programming and then my next class right after needs it for GIS.

I love the Dell XPS 15 due to screen, aesthetic and keyboard. Part of the issue with the first battery was gaming, realize XPS 15 has a thermal issue problem which heated my laptop to be real hot. My laptop has 8gb ram, 256 ssd and gtx 1050. Looking for a laptop with 16gb ram and a gpu of 1660ti or higher. Would like a laptop with at least 6+ hours with a dedicated gpu. I do use my laptop to power a 27" monitor and do video editing also. Budget is $1800 and really hope this will last me at least 4 years given I know mant people have their laptops for 6 years or more avg.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Razer Blade 15 Advanced is a tad above your budget but would be a good upgrade from XPS line, with more powerful GPUs and as good of build quality. The 80Wh battery lets it go 6+ hours on a charge assuming you aren't doing demanding things.

The RTX 2070 Max-Q model is on sale for $1,899 as I type this: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/shop
    That's a good price.

Charles