15.6in 1080p G-SYNC <RTX2070 <6.5lbs

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by aznxwill, Aug 15, 2019.

1. aznxwill

aznxwill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? Up to $2300 (I plan to install my own RAM/SSD/OS)

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen - preferably 15.6in that is less than 6.5 lbs. Must have webcam on top (for job meetings, etc.).

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? N/A
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No - new only

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Running 1 or 2 Virtual Machines, .NET/Java/Python Code Development, Database Development, gaming (FFXV, The Division, Xplane 11)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Taking to different places

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) FFXV, The Division, Xplane 11 (prefer RTX 2070 (non max q) powered laptop with GSYNC)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Battery life is not a concern, but 1+ hour is good enough in case of emergencies

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Don't need to see the item in front of me. Picture is fine with measurements.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p with GSYNC

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Doesn't matter

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I plan to install my own

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Aug or Sept 2019

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 4-7 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? I have backup computers around the house, just prefer the new laptop to be lighter (< 6.5lbs).

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I can ship the laptop

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. aznxwill

Reputations:
    My ideal laptop would probably be Clevo PB51RF-G with 144Hz G-SYNC 1080p display and RTX 2070 (non mq) with i7 9750h, but it's hard to find this in USA. This laptop is for mostly when I'm on the road or have to travel. My EVOC P870's are too big/heavy for some international flights for carry-on as some flights have carry-on weight limitations :(

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Are you near a Micro Center retail store? I am pretty sure the Powerspec 1520 has a 144hz panel and supports GSync.

aznxwill likes this.
  4. aznxwill

Reputations:
    I decided to purchase the Clevo PB71RF-G from HIDevolution (the Clevo PB51RF-G bigger brother) since the GSYNC version seems to be available in USA and it has a TB3 port which is nice (as I have some TB3 devices).