15.6" light weight touchscreen laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by recDNA, Nov 4, 2020.

1. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been pouring over websites all day and I can't believe I cannot find a light weight (under 4 lb) touchscreen laptop with at least 512gb ssd and backlit keyboard.

Lots of 14 inch and 13 but I want 15.6.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ur best bet will be those 2in1 convertibles/flippables. 15inches makes are available from Lenovo, Dell, HP, as well as 2 others on selective markets.

3. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Most importantly THANKS for taking the time to make a suggestion!

I can't find any that meet the criteria above. If you know of a specific model?
    They either weigh too much or have a 128gb drive or don't have the backlit keyboard.

I managed to find the LG Gram which meets my criteria but has very poor speakers on the bottom where they cannot be heard and the Surface 15 which isn't 15.6 inches. The Surface 15 seems to have better QC than the LG.

HP builds 100 models with some acceptable numbers but none meet them all. Four pounds is too heavy to lug around all day.

I would love a 2 in 1 that is 15.6 inches, backlit keyboard and is under 4 pounds. I found a Lenovo at Best Buy out of stock but it is not built any more.

I could go with a 13 or 14 inch model and find many excellent ones but I really prefer 15.6 for multiple open windows I deal with and for big spreadsheets.

Heck I'd go with the LG 17 Gram but I would miss the touchscreen. I use it constantly and unconsciously. When working on an Apple I constantly find myself reach for the screen to no avail.

4. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    XPS 15 with UHD touchscreen is 4.5 pounds. (4 pounds with HD nontouch screen)I almost bought one then I read the reviews complaining about QC in Amazon, everything from screws loose inside to problems with track pad.

I don't know what you mean about the Lenovo? 2.2 kg is almost 5 pounds?

6. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There was a time the 15.6 inch laptop was the standard size. Now it seems everyone is going with 13 or 14 inch models if they need a portable.

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ahhh... i could hv got the metric system wrongly interpreted...
    Anyway... the weight of a whole system is determined mostly by construction design and components defined.
    Should u come across those without a dGPU installed, or customizable to be removed, the weight will be lighter due to one lesser heat pipe used internally, so as 1 less fan embedded.
    Lenovo's Flex5 with plastic screen lid is a replacement to the now stopped production C340 with aluminum screen lid that makes it heavier than the new. Hence, on some configurations with dedicated mobile GPU such as nVidia's MX230 or 250, with addition to the metal screen lid, the C340 could be little too heavy for ur portability.
    So... if u're looking at those 2in1s, for lighter system weight look out for those without dGPUs.Those will hv lesser "innards with fats" that adds little more weights.

8. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The LG Gram is OK except for the speakers. Is there a way to use remote speakers without latency that causes the movement of lips on videos to be out of sync with sounds of words?

9. recDNA

recDNA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As I said I've looked and looked and looked so a category doesn't help at all. I need a specific make and model.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Inspiron 7000 15 2 in 1. Awesome device like you are looking for.

recDNA likes this.