15.6" Lenovo 720s GTX 1050 ti? Thoughts? $1399

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Mar 10, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Business laptop first and gaming bonus my friend :)

It’s a pretty nice looking display for sure

Lucas_Skyline likes this.
  2. Lucas_Skyline

Lucas_Skyline Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey BoB, first of all, thanks for all the info. I watched all your videos and I found all the information I wanted on this laptop.

In the end, would you still recommend it?

I am looking for a thin and light with a good GPU (1050 is the minimum) and with touch. The Surface Book 2 is way too expensive for me, and I am not considering the XPS 2 in 1 because of the lack of ports.

The way I see, my options are:

1. Ideapad 720s (lacks HDMI and I'm a bit concerned with the power throttle... also, touch version makes me wonder about battery life and is a little on the expensive side)
    2. Yoga 730 (no numpad, 1050 is not the Ti and WTF with the 51.5Wh battery? didn't find a review on its battery life with such a small battery)
    2. Spectre X360 15t with Vega (the only thing I dislike about this is the AMD card. With a 1050 ti, this would be the perfect laptop)
    3. Zenbook Pro (no numpad, really poor thermals, but appears to have better battery life than the 720s)

Thank you very much again!

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the i7 version of this is a great machine if priced right. If Lenovo let the CPU rip it would be louder too so I’ll give them that, and only that for doing such a thing.

I never noticed the performance hit with the i7 but the i5 was a no go. I was cpu starved in many titles and it’ll only get worse over time as software becomes more core dependent.

4. tunanemesis

tunanemesis Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it possible that the power supply circuitry is actually throttling because of its temperature, like the Dell XPS does?
    Just asking because in your videos you said that the power consumption at the wall starts at 90 or something and then drop to 60s. If you see notebookcheck's reviews usually laptops with this config draw between 80-100W when playing games, which means that after an undervolt on both the CPU and the GPU it really should be 90W or even less, which we know that the power source and the power circuitry is capable of delivering, even if not for long.

Question is, has anyone tried to do something similiar to the XPS mods on this bad boi?

5. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure of the mods you speak of, but for fun a tried an official Lenovo 170w brick. The PSU did nothing to resolve the issue not that I expected it to, but people would have asked if I didn't test it.

Great laptop otherwise :)

6. tunanemesis

tunanemesis Newbie

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ures-benchmarks-xps-15-9560-kaby-lake.802345/

basically he put some small dissipators on the FETs and redirected some airflow to it

Really does seem like a almost perfect laptop indeed, they just had to cheap out on that :|

B0B likes this.
  7. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^. Thanks for the link! I’ll read through it tonight :)