15.6" Lenovo 720s GTX 1050 ti? Thoughts? $1399

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Mar 10, 2018.

1. mergen3107

mergen3107 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Can you switch to 'dGPU mode only' in BIOS to avoid Optimus?

Update: I found out that this is impossible. This is not how Optimus works.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. mergen3107

Reputations:
    Also can you remap media buttons above numpad? For example, to assign Home/End/PgUp/PgDn buttons

3. mergen3107

Reputations:
    Can we replace display on this machine?

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish I could help you there. I only had the 4K panel and it didn’t appear to be easily removable.

mergen3107 likes this.
  5. marlin29311

marlin29311 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that you can charge the laptop over the Thunderbolt 3 port? I want to set up my desk with a TB3 dock and just have one wire to worry about.

6. Platosearwax

Platosearwax Newbie

Reputations:
    I have this machine and it is awesome. Except... I'm getting a quite obvious electronic interference in the headphones that is even worse when it is charging. Anyone else with this machine getting this?

I talked to lenovo and they said it hasn't been reported and I should just send it back and get a different one but I'm skeptical.

7. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you try a different pair of headphones and cable.

8. Platosearwax

Platosearwax Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried 4 different headphones, everything from a cheap pair of buds to two different pairs of Sennheisers. . And several different versions of the Realtek audio driver. It is a really faint interference that I only noticed a few days after buying the laptop and only occurred when I was charging. It doesn't interfere with sound if it is at a decent volume but if you are listening to something low or even worse just have the headphones on and nothing playing it is noticeable. After a few more days I started hearing it even on battery.

Describing the sound it is a faint electronic sound with occasional faint beeps. The sound when charging now is much louder with more static. And the volume and pitch change based on what I am doing on the computer. Scrolling can make it louder. As does opening and closing programs. And the charging sound is much fainter as it gets near fully charged and is quite annoying when it is at half or less.

I have already decided and gotten approval to return it (we have 45 days free returns at the place I bought it) but I am not sure if I want to chance getting another one or something else. It would be a shame, because otherwise this thing is an amazing laptop.

9. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^ I really hope you decide to get another one and it is trouble free :)

The BJ's warehouse unit I picked up for $699 is the best laptop I have ever owned for that price. I'm trying not to fanboy this thing but I truly think it's great!

I'm typing on it now :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    huntnyc likes this.
  10. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wait, you got one of these units with a 1050ti for $699? Where can I find this deal.

If only it had a trackpoint I would go out and buy one right now even though the last thing I need is another laptop.