15.6" Lenovo 720s GTX 1050 ti? Thoughts? $1399

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Mar 10, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly don’t know. I assumed it was a single 8. I honestly haven’t heard either way, sorry.

2. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought a i7-7700K a few months before Coffee Lake, and I bought an i7-7700HQ a month before Coffee Lake mobile. Still no regrets, as I needed a laptop at the time and this will serve me well.

huntnyc likes this.
  3. InvoluntorySoul

InvoluntorySoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    your money your call but the 50% increase in performance in 8750h is real

huntnyc likes this.
  4. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes in multi-core. Single is basically the same. Not that I couldn’t personally use the extra cores/threads.

If priced the same then it’s a no brainer.

Over the next 6 months might be the best time to snag a kabylake based laptop if inventory needs cleared.

Provided you don’t need the extra 2c/4t which most people won’t.

Redteam and huntnyc like this.
  5. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So Lenovo can get a 1050ti into one of these machines, yet they cannot even get Intel Iris graphics in the x1 Yoga? Why is it so hard to get an actual Lenovo (thinkpad) with a video card in it, even a low end one? And no, a GTX 940m doesn't count. I love Lenovo, I love thinkpads, I love trackpoints, I love all of their laptops but the biggest thing holding me back from purchasing one for myself as a new unit is the lack of options they have as far as video goes. I know they aren't gaming macghines and aren't meant to be, but something with at least half decent discrete graphics, or Iris integrated graphics would give me the power I need to have an all in one work portable laptop, and if I ever wanted to play a basic game of CS or something, I have the power to do minimal things like that with it. Is this too much to ask for Lenovo?

6. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd love intel to use their iris solution in something like this. It's pretty stout having tried one for a few weeks on a Broadwell i5 5675c. If the game driver support was a bit stronger (maybe it is now) then it could be great option.

7. Lunatics

Reputations:
    The biggest reason I am upset about it and posted it is because last years model of the X1 Yoga was announced and advertised as having the Iris graphics in it, then a few models came out in EU and people got their hands on with the graphics chip, then everything else that was released in the US and elsewhere did not come with it and had no mention of it, so I'm salty that a year later they haven't been able to find a way to pull this off as it would be my ideal perfect laptop.

8. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The X1 like all the new U series processor thinkpads are using 8th generation chips for the big performance jump over 7th generation, and I haven't seen any 8th gen chips with Iris graphics released yet. So at least for Iris the issue may well be in Intels court... they did push the 8th gen out the door a bit early in order to address Ryzen.

As for GPUs in thinkpads... for the most part since they are business machines your usually going to see the Quatro versions of NVidia consumer cards. you can get the mx150 in a t580 or the quarto version of it in the p52s...those are around the performance of the last generation 950m. anything better and your going to need to go to a p50 / p70 machine.... which unfortunately haven't got their 8th gen refresh yet.

9. Lunatics

Reputations:
    Yeah I was more referencing the fact that the 2017 model which was initially announced with Iris graphics, and models in the EU were seen with Iris graphics, then anything related to Iris dissapeared a few weeks before it "officially released" and has not been seen since is what really upsets me. I know they are not gaming machines and don't necessarily NEED the GPU and I don't want a serious nvidia GPU or anything, just something better than ****ty Intel HD graphics so that SOMETHING graphical could be done if someone so decided to want to. The fact that models are/were still coming out with mx940s in them was just mind boggling to me. Throw Iris in the T4xx line of laptops, why are you putting like a 2 year old POS "graphics card" in there anywhere, might as well just keep integrated graphics at that point. It's like they try to put something in the machines recently but put something so low end it's not even worth it and doesn't make sense. If I was going to get into something like P series with that kind of weight for the power, I would just buy a laptop like my current one and suck it up not having a track point which is what I ended up doing because sadly no Thinkpads quite meet the needs or wants I was looking for, but I would drop my current laptop in an instant if I could get a respectable Thinkpad with a medicore low end GPU capable of basic things if I ever so desired.

10. o2taku

o2taku Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone with this machine tried a SATA m.2 ssd in the 2nd slot? I was hoping to find out, but there's been no information about it.