15.6" Lenovo 720s GTX 1050 ti? Thoughts? $1399

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Mar 10, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here's the playlist for your learning pleasure. If this unit disappoints you then "these are not the droids you are looking for"

Original post: This seems interesting? Not much on the net about it unfortunately.

7700HQ
    UHD panel
    All metal?
    512/1tb SSD maybe nvme?
    GTX 1050 ti 4gb

Could scale to 1080p for gaming quite well if desired or required of course.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/501645/IdeaPad_720S_Touch_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Grey

There's a 1TB ssd model for $1799 too

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488378/IdeaPad_720S_Touch_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Grey

I might cover this on the channel. My main concern is its availability. They're not exactly easy for everyone to get right now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    steberg, huntnyc and Redteam like this.
  2. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the Lenovo Yoga 720-15IKB (Nvidia 1050, 7300HQ) - not exactly the same., but I can tell you the build quality is pretty good with the all metal case.

3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    By any chance have you tried removing the bottom for adding more Ram or storage?
    Just wondering if it’s easy or not?
    Edit: never mind I see you have the Yoga and not Ideapad

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This thing is absolutely gorgeous! In depth reviews in coming.

Redteam and huntnyc like this.
  5. InvoluntorySoul

InvoluntorySoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    after tax that's $1500 for a 1050ti, considering you can get 1060 for less then $1000 i would say overpriced

hmscott likes this.
  6. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This isn’t a bang for the buck gaming machine, but rather an XPS 15 alternative.

huntnyc and Redteam like this.
  7. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 720S 15. It's a "jack of all trades" laptop, and should be approached as such:
    >Good battery life (7-8 hours browsing @ 40% brightness and stock clocks)
    >Sleek and professional appearance, with zero "gaming bling"
    >1050Ti with sufficient cooling for gaming on the go
    >Good FHD screen, though I have heard reports of bad backlight bleed on some of the HD units
    >"Tier 1.5" build quality. It's not a single block of machined aluminum, but the metal exterior is competent and firm and it overall looks quite nice.

I bought this to be "a professional laptop that can game on the side." After my XPS13 died for the second time, I needed a notebook that I could bring to a class, client, or professional event and wanted a device that would allow for some gaming on the side. While you might be able to snag a 1060 for less (Inspiron 7000), or pay more for a 1060 in a sleeker chassis (Razer Blade 14), those options have downsides that would necessitate a second laptop. The 720S gives me the15.6" screen, battery life, and appearance I need for 8AM-6PM and the 1050Ti I like for an evening of Fortnite, DOTA2, or Doom to blow off steam.

This laptop does throttle during intense gaming, but not in a way that I've noticed with a 60Hz display. The MaxQ setup seems to reduce processor speed before GPU clocks, and the games I play are more dependent on graphics oomph to hit 60 FPS. Trying to run an external 144Hz display off this unit could be trouble (maxing out CPU and GPU), but performance is excellent in my gaming library at 1080P/60Hz. If you use some sort of compute app that maxes out your GPU and CPU simultaneously, you will run into power and thernal throttling.

My unit undervolt like a champ, with -100mV on the GPU and -150mV on the CPU. These undervolts have been tested in 3DMark, IBT, and Prime95, with very low temps. Undervolted and capped at 60 FPS in games, my GPU runs a steady 1770MHz. If uncap FPS that becomes ~ 157X-175X MHz, which is equally playable if not perfect. I might be able to push clocks or voltages more but haven't had the time to dig deeper.

You will need dongles if you use a lot of USB-A peripherals, as there is just one of the venerable sockets on this laptop (plus USB-C, TB3, 3.5mm, and a SD card reader). Given this laptop's footprint I would have preferred another USB port and HDMI out.

The fingerprint reader is a nice addition, and the trackpad is not a downgrade from my former XPS13. I enjoy the keyboard but am not picky with that part.

All in all, this is a good laptop. The week I bought mine the i7/512GB unit was down to $1,200, and the it/256GB SKU has been under $1,000. At the full $1,500 I would have a tougher time recommending my mid-range SKU, as that puts you very close to the next tier of notebooks with more RAM and beefier GPUs. Also, mobile Coffee Lake is right around the corner and may offer more cores or better battery life. But Lenovo is offering a number of coupons and discounts for these models, so they've been very competitive with the XPS line. The top SKU is quite a deal for anyone who is ok with a 4K display, as it bundles 1TB of fast storage and 16GB of RAM for $1,600 (before discounts).

I will repost these thoughts in a separate thread for questions.

Redteam, B0B and huntnyc like this.
  8. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty fair assessment.

The clocks were solid at 1683 once I undervolted both cpu and gpu. Then Liquid Metal maxes temps into the mid 70’s.

This was 3 hours of gaming uncapped in Overwatch, PUBG and BF1.

Great machine.

huntnyc and hmscott like this.
  9. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you the Bob from the video?

Those are great clocks and temps for uncapped FPS. I'm getting ~70 capped/vsync. Uncapped, temps are fine but clocks meander more. Does replacing the thermal grease void your warranty?

I'm happy to support a gaming-capable PC without RGB LEDs and red plastic. Hopefully this is a start of a trend, as Kaby Lake G and MaxQ parts push GPUs into a wider variety of form factors.

10. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes that’s me. I can’t imagine Lenovo or most manufacturers want their laptops dismantled that far but the only “Lenovo” sticker was covering the m.2 drive screw.

There’s 3 videos in that playlist. My review, a LM application start to finish with results and performance testing across three titles with a brief discussion to what it’s about should you need it.

huntnyc likes this.