14inch (or small 15") Laptop with specific requirements

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by swooph, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swooph

swooph Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys, any help with this one? High spec machine needed.

1) What is your budget?
    £2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    14" ideal but will consider a slim 15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Don't mind
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Everything except gaming. Sound and Video editing. Should be a very high spec machine.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    NO

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    More the merrier

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Don't ming

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win 10

Screen Specifics

12)
    I love big resolution but wont tolerate a glossy screen. so if it's glossy i prefer to go down to a 1080 and get a non-reflective.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-3 years minimum

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I need a big SSD but am happy to install my own.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

OTHER STUFF

MUSTS
    I need traditional USB 3s (at least 2), preferable at least one on either side.
    and here's the kicker
    in an ideal world this laptop will have DEDICATED pg up and down keys (no pressing ctrl / shift)
    Backlit keys
    Up-gradable SSD / RAM would be lovely but not a must, if the machine is of high enough spec.

I think that's it. Any help, as ever, greatly appreciated.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The ThinkPad T470p might be worth a look.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. swooph

swooph Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Could be a good shout that... thank you

4. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    JRE84 likes this.
  5. swooph

swooph Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  6. swooph

swooph Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    no votes for the Elitebook 1040?

7. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell Precision 7510/7520? Lenovo P50/P51/P51s?

These aren't particularly small examples of 15" (the P51s is considerably smaller), but if you want lots of compute and graphics horsepower, the chassis has to be able to dissipate quite a bit of heat. That's also going to make battery life miserable. The lighter laptops tend to use U-series chips with 2 cores, which consume a lot less power, so less throughput than the higher end ones (but not necessarily less per core, if you're single threaded).

I have a Lenovo P70 (I had been a Dell man all along, from the Inspiron 8000 through the M6500), but I like the ability to add a second 2.5" drive to the P70 that can't be done with the Dells. None of the 15" machines offer that (well, there's a Clevo model or two that does). I do a lot of image editing, and the programs that support OpenCL really crank compared with my M6500 (it takes about 4 seconds to do a series of processing steps that took 25 seconds with the old laptop -- with programs that don't support OpenCL, it's more like 8-9 seconds). This is running Linux.

I'm not sure about the P51s, but the others all offer choice of FHD or UHD screen. The UHD is really a lot crisper, particularly if you like small fonts. Both the Lenovo and the Dell offer good color gamut with matte screens with the UHD screens; the FHD ones are another matter. If you insist on working in bright sunlight backlit you'll have glare, but you would with anything.

HP also offers the Z-series; I don't know as much about that. Gigabyte does too, but theirs only takes 2 DIMMs and it's apparently very hard to find replacement parts if you need to.

Finally, look at the respective refurb stores online; they offer some good configurations.

8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    aero 15x if you can afford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.