1440p Ultra or 4K High/Medium?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Prototime, Nov 2, 2020.

?

1440p Ultra or 4K High/Medium?

1. 1440p Ultra

83.3%
  2. 4K High/Medium

16.7%
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Unless you do something else besides gaming.

2. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've been on to the pixel density thing for decades, it's widely known in home theater circles: Balancing the screen sizing with optimum viewing distance; it's one of the first thing that will come up when setting up your home theater. Before you get married to the THX chart you should be aware that there are other sources that recommend 1.5 the diagonal to viewing area coming from equally expert sources. You also have many other factors such as the need to provide a view to multiple seating locations that have to be accounted for and you should remember there is another chart you can look up that defines the distance where all benefit of a resolution increase is generally going to be lost. Just because you don't get it all does not mean that you don't benefit from some of it and some people would like to get as much out of it as they can even if they can't get all of it.

Are people sitting 15 away from their 48 inch 4k TV getting the benefit of that 4k? No, of course not, at least not all of it. Even in those cases HDR is not subject to viewing distance and many experts would argue it's more important than 4k in terms of seen/felt improvement.

Home theater viewing distances also don't apply in all, of even many, viewing situations with PCs where the monitor is often near field but HDR is not in effect and picture quality may take a back seat to getting more documents on screen anyways.

There is no one right answer JRE, you can argue it any way you want but that won't change. At best you can define a window within which you should sit to see a benefit from the increase in resolution without getting so close as to be able to resolve individual pixels which makes the picture appear noisy. Even that box not take into account HDR, seating area, and uses where the real estate is more important than the picture quality.

killkenny1 likes this.
  3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    science..

pixels..

distance..

convo..

am i missing something

so the convo is distance doesn't matter?:p

i get your point but i was just showing a video of the distances? not much to argue

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  4. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The chart isn't where you're going wrong; it's your conclusions that didn't hold up to objective scrutiny and you should not be replacing my comments with different conclusions I never made. At no point did I ever say viewing distance does not matter. I'd say I'm ready to tap out here: Once someone starts pulling out rhetorical devices like your misdirection, various logical fallacies, that sort of thing, you know it's time to walk away.

killkenny1 likes this.
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    its all good man....i guess my point was i didnt have a point just data