14" Samsung Series 7 NP700Z3C

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by SoundsGood, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This new bug is also affecting my NP900X4C. It's very annoying. I've just reported it to the Samsung UK support people but don't have much hope that they will grasp the problem, never mind try to get it fixed. However, if enough people spam their support staff then the message might get through.

John

2. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Samsung could fix a lot of things with Easy Settings, but it doesn't seem like they roll out updates all that often.

3. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Dale_I

Dale_I Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased a NP700Z3C-02US couple weeks ago and received it last week.

First... I LOVE it... except for my wifi issue. Perfect for what I need it for. That said, I'm not looking for a perfect movie or gaming screen and like the non-reflective coatings so I can work in bright areas. It is used as a remote work laptop for software support for maintaining hospital computer systems. Because of this, poor wifi is not an option.

I've updated the BIOS, updated the WAN/LAN driver, and optimized the user settings to maintain a connection and I'm still struggling. Constant drops and poor quality speed and transfer rates. I've been on chat support with Samsung twice and phone support once and have gone through all the hoops (even though I tried most of them myself before contacting them).

There was some limited success upgrading to a driver that was not yet listed on the Samsung website that was dated Jan 2013, but that really only sped up the connection. I was still experiencing a 49% loss in quality across the net, measured from Spokane, WA to GA and TX testing from ISPgeeks.

I even went as far as moving our router (comcast cable, admittedly not the best) into the same room. But, signal strength was never an issue. I would be at a full 5 bars and it would still drop the connection or slow to a crawl. Working side by side with a 2-year old HP laptop, an iPad, and two smart phones that never had a problem or a slow down, the Samsung is still struggling.

I work through a VPN, so slow connection causes failure. Regular web surfing seems adequate, but having to reinitiate the portal every 5 to 15 minutes means I don't get much work done.

Support seems to think I have a bad wireless card. After reading on the web, I'm not so sure. I was hopeful the previous wireless issues might have been resolved with this model. If I can't get it going today, I'm going to wipe the data, reset to factory spec, and RMA it.

Any opinoin on if I should give another one a try? Other than the wifi, everything is awesome. I LOVE the long battery life (6 hours of work and still have a decent reserve). If it is a bad wifi card, a new laptop would solve it. If this is a common issue, I'll need to start looking for a different brand and/or model.

Comments?

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    1. The Series 7 (and Series 9) all have relatively poor WiFi performance because of the antennae being along the back edge of the (largely metal) chassis instead of being along the top edge of the display. My NP900X4C Series 9 can't make a decent connection at the opposite end of my house from the router but everything else can (my Samsung tablet is the best performer in that test).

2. There are known problems with the Intel 6235 holding a connection which, I believe, Intel is finally starting to investigate (you can try some of the work-arounds discussed there). I also wonder whether the 6235 has other deficiencies since throughput in my test location is worse using that card than with the older 6230 in the Samsung NP900X3B.

3. The antennae are made from metallic paint sprayed onto plastic. I wonder whether this contributes to the variable WiFi performance.

I would suggest you try another NP700Z3C on the assumption that the WiFi in yours is particularly bad.

John

PS: There is also specific discussion about Series 7 WiFi issues here and here.

6. Dale_I

Dale_I Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think it is a signal strength issue, especially since I moved the router within a few feet of my desk (it used to be on the floor below under the desk). I've got full bars for strength. I think you hit the nail on the head with your throughput comment.

I'll trade it for another of the same model and hope it was something about this unit. I don't mind taking the time to eliminate all possible causes in the hope that we might have recieved a dud. Everything else about it is fantastic.

Thanks for the link on the 6235 thread. I'll read through it tonight and see if I can't gain a little wisdom.

I apprecaite it and will post back when the replacement laptop shows up.

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    If you have good signal strength then I suspect the discussion in the Intel forum may be most relevant.

John

8. cj1994

cj1994 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, sorry to jump in here... I'm looking at picking up this model on Newegg. I'm replacing an old 14'' HP envy. All reactions to this Series 7 here and elsewhere seem pretty great, particularly for what i'm looking for - a relatively lightweight 14'' that can do a little decent gaming, under $900.

I am actually not going to be back home for another month, but I'm worried this will go out of stock and I won't find it at a better price. I know the model's been out for a while now. Given what's due in the laptop pipeline in the next month, is it worth ordering now, or waiting a month? Sorry to nitpick.

9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have to apologize in advance for (a) a totally knee-jerk response to your question, and (b) probably an unhelpful answer to boot, but:

At first I thought you were seriously hallucinating -- but indeed it's true and the 14" is in stock at newegg. I haven't tracked inventory on the 14" in a few months, but I have to say I'm shocked (hmmm, camelegg.com says it's been around 2 months...), and so I'd say JUMP ON IT. That's an awesome price and a superb machine (DISCLAIMER: I own the NP700Z5C-S02UB). I would totally recommend buying it now.

-Matt

10. cj1994

cj1994 Newbie

Reputations:
    Haha yeah that's why I asked.... seems like a deal that would be silly to pass up just to wait for 3 weeks and see if there's any better deal that might come. Thanks for the response. Maybe i'll jump on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.