14" Samsung Series 7 NP700Z3C

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by SoundsGood, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghaspias

ghaspias Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 700Z3C-S02PT (bought in portugal, at Fnac). Altough I had trouble at first to get it to boot off external storage (usb hdd, usb flash drive, cd/dvd), I eventually managed to install Linux Mint (Maya? it's the one based on ubuntu 12.10), as well as Ubuntu 13.04 alpha.
    I had to do some more tweaking for getting the boot menu (using ubuntu's boot repair tool), and got everything working allright.
    At the time I installed Mint, I had not installed any updates. Later, I installed a bios uptdate, going from stock x02xxx to x04xxx... and nothing worked anymore on linux side! No bios tweking would get me a working linux desktop, either totally crashing (had to reset by using the battery disconnect hole on the back) or crashing the kernel with hardware errors reported, or rebooting spontaneously, or crashing while loading the desktop environment. Finally, I found that disabling the samsung-laptop kernel module, along with the proper bios settings (still trying to find exactly which) lets me boot linux ok, altough power saving is sub-optimal.

I would recommend you install from a live cd, and then blacklist the samsung-laptop module (either adding 'blacklist=samsung-laptop' in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, or adding the same command to the kernel parameters in /etc/default/grub or in /boot/grub/grub.cfg).

I will try to make a proper post on this when I have the time.

2. Thimoteus

Thimoteus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. This is very interesting, because in the bug I linked to earlier, someone posted this not too long ago:
    Have you found any way of getting back the functionality that the module provides (backlit keyboard, etc) while keeping it blacklisted? This might save people a lot of trouble.

3. anatrong

anatrong Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I've wiped out all my harddrive and created recovery image, but this now doesnt work for some reason. Do you have any suggestions? or would anyone who owns this laptop (I have np700z3c-s02uk) be so nice to upload recovery image somewhere, because now I can't get windows working.. or it might be possible that I switched from GPT to MBR partition type and this causes the recovery error?

4. OC-Freak

OC-Freak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought one of these to replace my old and trusty acer 3820TG (brilliant computer - at least back in 2010!), and was positively surprised to find it smaller than the 13" acer.

I have already owned the big 17" brother 700Z7C, but returned it due to wifi issues - so I feared the 700Z3C would have the same issue, but let's see...

First to the good part:
    EXCELLENT keyboard, don't know why but I very much like the keyboards on the chronos 7 series.
    Good battery life, windows suggests 8hrs with wifi on and 30% screen brightness when surfing the web, impressive.
    Crisp screen due to good resolution, and it's MATTE with very good brightness.
    Low noise
    Good touchpad, better than on the big brother for some reason.
    Good quality feel, the only very minor flaw I found is that the bottom left corner of the touchpad is not 100% flush.
    Good general performance.
    Intel 6235 wifi.
    Decent speakers for a computer of this size.

On the negative side:
    Black levels are very poor, making blacks look greyish and giving low contrasts. A bit limited viewing angles, but text has decent readability even from angles.
    Horrible to open for replacing the HDD.
    Gets a bit heated up when gaming, both CPU and GPU.
    No USB port on the right hand side.
    Wish they had used an GT640M LE kepler based GPU instead of the old GT630M fermi GPU - even if it has been shrunk to 28nm. Heat output/power usage should have been similar while giving slightly better performance.

The Nvidia GT620M used in Asus UX32VD seems to be identical to the GT630M in this one, just different name. Asus even clocks the GT620M higher (715MHz GT620M vs 625MHz GT630M). Asus uses DDR3 though, so samsung gains a bit by using GDDR5, still performance deifference is minimal, probably still in favour of the asus UX32VD.
    Both seems to be GF117 28nm fermi-shrunk parts with same numbers etc.

As for wifi, it works good, not the highest transfer speeds when moving away from the router, but it doesn't disconnect - like the 700Z7C did ALL THE TIME, when over 5m away from the router. So I'm happy with that.
    Overall I'm happy with it for the price I paid ( ~USD $809 on sale here in Norway, regular price being ~USD $1200).

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @OC-Freak: Great review, thanks for sharing :)

I have an older Z3A (Sandy Bridge & AMD) but beyond the GPU/gaming/heat issues, I recognize almost all your Pros and Cons. I find it a great laptop overall.

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It seems the 14" 7 Series has been really hard to find in the US. I was sorry to see it was available at microsoftstore.com for only a short while. However, I just noticed a UK version (S02UK) with Win 8. I wonder if that's a sign that Samsung is updating their earlier Win 7 version? It's an awesome form-factor and I'd love to see them more widely available!

@OC-Freak, when you have a chance, if you can post additional details of your experience with the Intel 6235 that would be great, e.g., driver version, link/transfer speeds, etc.

-Matt

7. OC-Freak

OC-Freak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use the latest driver from intel 15.3.1.
    As for transfer speeds I do not really know since I only use wifi for internet, in my living room I'm downloading fine @ 2mbyte/sec ( 16mbit/sec), in my bedroom 6-7m away from router the speeds drops considerably to around 300kbyte/sec (2.4mbit/sec), still enough to stream most youtube content and surf the web comfortably.

I've had better laptops when it comes to wifi, but I'm happy with it as it is.

8. Empknight

Empknight Newbie

Reputations:
    You do it from within regedit. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Elantech > Smartpad.
    Set DisableWhenType values to 0 and reboot. That should work.

9. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well I think I sorted my trackpad problem (Touch wood) by turning off touchscreen input in easy settings. Now a problem that I have noticed is the keyboard doesn't light up when it gets dark, I have to go to easy settings and manually increase the brightness and then it stays on, anyone have this issue??

thanks

10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We were just discussing this in the "Samsung Series 7 Lovers" thread -- it sounds like several of us have the same issue, and the Easy Settings method is the only fix so far.

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.