1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

14" laptop with the best video card

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cwb124, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwb124

cwb124 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    14"

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like
    Prefer HP or Dell. No IBM

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    I will use this for my consulting job so lots of travelling and lots of apps open like Outlook, Excel, network analyzers. But I also want the ability to do some kind of gaming on it since it will be my only computer. I will output this to a big LCD or plasma TV. HDMI output would be nice.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    mobile

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    I would like to play flight simulator X and maybe some FPS games that are a year to a couple years old. I don't want, or do I expect to be able to play the latest and greatest games on this laptop

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Whatever the 9-cell battery gets me is fine.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    Not a problem. I've seen most HP and Dell laptops anyway so it isn't a big deal.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Prefer XP, and since this will likely be a business line PC I will get the XP downgrade license. Either that or Vista 64-bit. Haven't decided yet.

2. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    THIS Asus is perfect.

Powerful graphics card to play FSX and a nice processor. ;) Plus, 4GB RAM, inc. extras and all under budget! ;)

HP dv4t as well.

3. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I agree with ahl; the N80 has the most powerful GPU in a 14" and is great for gaming. However, there is no 9-cell battery available, only 6 cell. GenTech's also a great place to buy an Asus ;)

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    anything slimmer out with a good card?

5. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Oh, i forgot about the battery. But if you can get past that, its the best choice. ;)

I agree, i always recommend GenTech. :D

6. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    None that I know of with the 9560M GT in the computer i suggested.

BTW, its only 3.63~3.72 cm thick. Which isnt too bad.

7. rton20s

rton20s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Asus mentioned above is great if you are wanting to spend around $1000+/- $200. If you are willing to push the ceiling on your budget a bit, the Zepto NOX A14 is the notebook for you. It is currently only listed with the 9600mGT GDDR3, but will be available very soon with the 9650mGT GDDR3. In fact Zepto.dk already has it as an option.

You can see US prices from their regional distributor here http://www.zeptousa.com

8. asusfreak44

asusfreak44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. asusfreak44

asusfreak44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a side note, I would definitely give Asus models a look... they are becoming an authority on the scene, and personally I dont think Dells or HPs compare... :D

10. cwb124

cwb124 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the Asus a quality built laptop? Is it built for portability with a solid case and long lasting hinges? I know very little of ASUS laptops but am intrigued by a 1gb GPU. I am opening and closing my laptop 5 or 6 times per day. My Dell Inspiron E1505 hinges are completely trashed. I don't want that to happen again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.