14" Laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Nevermore0, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Nevermore0

Nevermore0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Black Friday is right around the corner and I think it's time for me to finally upgrade from my Acer V7. A recommendation would be much appreciated.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    <$1500 - remember, Black Friday savings!

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Don't care
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Redistributed perhaps, but not used.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mostly surfing the internet and watching movies, but I also may do some light gaming and photo editing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I will travel with it. I take my laptop around town with me when I'm working. At home I use it in bed.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    I mostly game on my PC. I don't expect to play games which need a high quality GPU.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 2, preferably 4+.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I've always bought online in the past. Trying out the screen and keyboard before purchasing would be nice though.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1920x1080 is fine

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I'm not picky but a quality screen is important to me.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Looks aren't important, but build quality is.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I'll replace the hard drive with an SSD.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Soon, hopefully. If there's something amazing right around the corner, I can hold off.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    At least 3 years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A long while, but let's try to find one that won't fail, shall we?

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I can ship it.

As I said, build and screen quality are important to me, as is a good keyboard. I like a nice compromise between portability and power. I don't need a super lightweight X1 Carbon, and I don't need the power of an Alienware. I would prefer something with a dedicated GPU, but I don't really know how integrated GPUs have progressed in the last few years. For reference, my Acer is 0.9" thick and weighs 4.41 pounds, and I'm very happy with its size.

Must have dedicated home/end/pg up/pg down buttons! I don't know how people live without them.

Thanks so much for your help!

Just taking a quick look around, this Acer here looks fantastic, if only it were a 14":
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/laptops/conceptd-5-laptop-cn515-51-72fx
    Speakers on the top, 4k screen, dedicated GPU, i7, lightweight. Wonder if they've improved the touchpad.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    JRE84 likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the msi ps42 is worth a look and I can vouche for the 14in zenbooks.....great display, fast, great battery life, no bloat, good speakers...I owned the ux330ca

Nevermore0 likes this.
  3. Nevermore0

Reputations:
    Thanks, I looked at the Zenbook. I actually think I might be able to get away with the 15" because they have such a high screen to body ratio, so a smaller overall form factor. I'm not sure I want something running a CPU that's two generations old, but it's good to know that people are happy with them. I'll check out the MSI.

JRE84 likes this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Nevermore0

Reputations:
    Got it, I haven't really been keeping up with hardware lately. I'm actually really liking this MSI Modern 14:
    https://xoticpc.com/collections/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks/products/msi-modern-14-a10rb-459

It's way cheaper than the PS42, with the only real difference being that the PS42 has a slightly better CPU, while the Modern has a slightly better GPU. Comparing them side by side on MSI's website, it looks like they're using the same parts for everything else.

I'm liking the Zenbook 15 with its full number pad and GTX 1050. Just need to decide if it's too big and/or pricey.

Also need to check out Lenovo.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019