14-15" Laptops with the best displays

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Flav_cool, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightningrodbob

lightningrodbob Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have you looked into the Asus ZenBook UX501VW yet that someone mentioned upthread?

It's thin and light like the XPS, has the same powerful specs for cheaper (16GB DDR, i7 full voltage quad, and the UHD touch display comes standard instead of an extra $350.

And as for the screen's color reproduction: "ZenBook Pro’s display features an ultra-wide color gamut of 72% NTSC, 100% sRGB and 96% Adobe RGB."

I'm mentioning it because I'm currently considering it my "favorite" for when I buy my next laptop before the end of the summer lol. Something else might come along in between now and then but right now it's my favorite. The ONLY thing the XPS 15 clearly beats it in is that beautiful InfinityEdge bezel. It's gorgeous. But for the same configuration on the XPS it would cost about $2,100 compared to $1500 for the ZenBook.

2. Akhor

Akhor Newbie

Reputations:
    Am sort of in the same boat as the OP. Sadly the Zen Book's claim of 100% sRGB / 96 % Adobe RGB doesn't quite seem to live up to that in tests out there - Notebookcheck measured 89% SRGB / 58% Adobe RGB - otherwise it'd definitely be an alternative to the Dell Xps 15.

What annoys me a bit that there doesn't seem to be a current tech laptop with a really good FHD display out there. The 100% sRGB ones available are all QHD. I'd really rather have the longer battery life combined with colour accuracy than higher resolution; always an option to connect to an external screen if high res really is needed. But alas :|.

3. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I got my uhd xps for 1250

So definitely don't worry about that price quote.

My last two screens were awesome

The Panasonic 3k screen with gsync on the auros x5 is great as far as gaming response

But for what you are describing the color reproduction Adobe and brightness being even nothing beats the izgo screen.

But one last thing I think the similar one for the alienware 17r2 is even better

4. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good point, I just re-checked notebookcheck.net review of the FHD model and it's 98% sRGB. Tough choice! 4k is definitely overkill on a 15.6" monitor. You'd have to be sitting a foot away to really notice a difference. I suppose it could come in useful if you really want to look at some detail and get very close to the screen to see it.

Exactly. I have a UX32VD Zenbook right now and it's been quite good to me, but this new 15" offering from Dell is quite sexy. It's only slightly bigger (by about an inch) in width and depth, and even thinner than my current 13.3" laptop!

5. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you end up finding anything?

I ended up buying a XPS15 9550 with the 4k display. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the screen response time (dragging windows left trails) and Dell's extremely horrible technical support (search my other threads for that fiasco). I re-sold the laptop!

6. ApopoBanana

ApopoBanana Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the hp z book studio G3 with dreamcolor display should have the best display on the market or am I mistaken? check out HP.com but when will it be available in germany on the german HP webstore ?

7. ApopoBanana

Reputations:
    the hp z book studio G3 with dreamcolor display should have the best display on the market or am I mistaken? check out HP.com but when will it be available in germany on the german HP webstore ?

8. ApopoBanana

Reputations:

9. Akhor

Akhor Newbie

Reputations:
    Got an XPS 15, too, but have been more fortunate. Been using it for the last 3 months now without any of the hardware problems listed by others so far. Didn't even do a Windows re-install yet and it's been really stable. (Waiting for 1tb ssd m2 drives to drop in price a little. Plan to replace internal one with that capacity and then use the one that came with it as an external pocketable Linux installation connected via thunderbolt.)

Tearing didn't bother me that much. Not overly important for photo editing and compromise with mobile video editing. Long term hope that I can run over an external graphic card to separate monitor (when that technology is more established) for 'docked' editing at home - and more performance under DaVinciResolve :).

10. DRFP

DRFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice Akhor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.