14-15" Laptops with the best displays

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Flav_cool, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I made a similar thread about 3 years ago when I bought my current computer, Asus UX32VD. At the time, I was looking for the ultrabook with the best screen I could find. IPS displays were rare, and this 1080p IPS display was great for its time.

I'm now looking to get into a newer and slightly bigger laptop (15" or so) with a full voltage quad-core CPU, but I'd like to stay within the sleek looking "Ultrabook" category. Again, the display is priority to me, but build quality and portability also rank high. I'm looking for at least 100% sRGB color coverage, IPS and at least 1080p, decent response times. Touch or non-touch doesn't matter as long as it fits the above.

I've looked at the XPS15 Infinity Edge 9550 model but it seems to be plagued with quality control problems and slow response times for both the FHD and UHD display options. The FHD model also doesn't cover the sRGB spectrum.

I don't want to do much gaming but need a good display and a good CPU with plentiful RAM for photo and video editing.

Suggestions?

Standard form questions below:

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Unlimited

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Asus
    b. Dislike: Acer, HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Video editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Not much

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    The more the better!

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'd prefer to see it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows 8.1

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p+ IPS with 100% sRGB coverage.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Prefer matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Next 6 months

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3+ years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    256GB, yes.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Impossible. UltraBooks use ULV Dual Core processors. Full voltage Quad Core, the GPU needed for video editing, means thicker, heavier laptop for most video editing. And 2-3 hour battery life. Can't get something for nothing. To edit at the resolution you want, with the screen you want, you're looking at high end workstation class or gaming laptop options. To get the durability you want and be mobile, the Workstation class machines would be best.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Consider the Zenbook Pro UX501VW. It more or less meets your requirements, although I am not a big fan of Asus warranty service.

Another couple of options would be the Dell Precision 5510 or HP Zbook Studio G3. I know you mention HP as a dislike, but their business models are quite a bit better than their consumer models, so I figured I would mention it anyways. The Precision is the business version of the XPS 15, which has better support and a Quadro GPU instead of a GTX (consumer) GPU.

4. Flav_cool

Reputations:
    This is true. I guess what I mean by ultrabook is something relatively slim, not a thick gaming notebook. After some research last night, something like the MSI GS60 or the HP Omen 15. However it's unclear how good these screens actually are. Notebookcheck seems to report the 1080p panel around 80% sRGB coverage for the GS60 even though MSI claims it's "close to 100%". The 4k panel seems to be even worse and customers are reporting a mustardy yellow tinge.

Thanks, I'll look into those! What do you think of the 2 I mention above?

5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Those two win32asmguy recommend are what you really need. And will fly editing video!

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The ThinkPad T440p might be something smaller with a quad, though the GPU is weak sauce. The new Skylake ThinkPads are around the corner since you've got six months and an unlimited budget. We should finally get a proper T440p replacement, which never happened with broadwell.

7. Timothy R. Sellman

Timothy R. Sellman Newbie

Reputations:
    It's a nice question! I am also looking for 14-15'' laptops with best display and with reasonable price.. Please help!

8. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Best display won't be thin and light, and will cost very premium money.

9. Flav_cool

Reputations:
    I'm swaying back toward the Dell XPS 15 9550 with the 4k display. It looks like a lot of the issues they were having have been sorted out through firmware updates. Screen is supposed to be 100% srGB as well, and it's a very well designed (and thin) laptop. The business version could be nice but is more expensive (and more powerful?).

Actually some insight into differences between the XPS 9550 and Precision 5510 would be great.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The Precision has a better warranty, more configuration options, and a Quadro GPU instead of the GTX GPU (certified for Pro Apps, downclocked a little so they will last longer and perform more consistently in extreme temperature conditions).

I believe the FHD matte Sharp panel that Dell was using in the Precision / XPS is supposed to have 98% sRGB coverage, is that not good enough for your usage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.