14-15'' laptop to last several years

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bucerei, Mar 15, 2020.

1. bucerei

bucerei Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! Thanks for reading my thread.
    I'm looking for a new laptop since the graphics card of my 8-year-old Lenovo y470 failed. Since I didn't want to do any of this reballing thing, I've decided I want to buy a new laptop.

I'm very biased towards Lenovo as I had a really great experience with the equipment, but it has been long and I don't know any better now. Hopefully you can shed me some light on some nice other options around my budget. I take good care/maintenance of electronics I have and I expect it to last some good years.

Thanks again! Find below my answers to the form.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? 1000 €, but could be above it if it would mean a large performance difference on my primary tasks

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Spain/Europe

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo. Had a y470 for 8 years, but he finally decided to retire =(
    b. Dislike: HP. Whole family had issues with HP back in 2011-2013, so I developed some prejudice. Not sure how it is today. Not very fond of Apple, but budget kills it anyway.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web browsing, watching movies and eventually gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly will be on my desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Only game I still play sometimes is League of Legends

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 10+ hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) High Res

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) No preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 500 GB or less is fine

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Next 1-2 months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? If I could reach another 8 years would definitely be positive

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1 month

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Both is fine

Thanks,
    B

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. bucerei

bucerei Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion mate, the specs look nice but I don't dig these 2-in-1.

Browsing the Lenovo website I've came across 4 options, does anyone have experience with any of these series and could give me a hint? Looking at these, any interesting competitors you could suggest?

Ideapad S340, the i7 option
    https://www.lenovo.com/es/es/laptops/ideapad/s-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S340-15IWL/p/88IPS301215

Ideapad 530S
    https://www.lenovo.com/es/es/laptops/ideapad/500-series/Ideapad-530S-15-Intel/p/88IP50S0986

Ideapad L340, the i7 option
    https://www.lenovo.com/es/es/laptops/ideapad/l-series/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/88IPL301161

Yoga S750, to be in the same price range the i5 option
    https://www.lenovo.com/es/es/laptops/yoga/yoga-s-series/Lenovo-Yoga-S740-14IIL/p/88YGS701250

Thank you,
    B

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    definitely the s740...

Also I'm not sure if you know but the flex pro I linked is a rebranded yoga 920 and they were the number 1 laptop 2 in 1s a year or so ago...phenomenal battery life/screen/performance/keyboard ectera and well they also have 2 thunderbolt ports..

I currently own the 256gb version I bought for 385 used and I must say its the best all around laptop i have ever owned, basically just shy of perfect. I highly recommend the 4k version but if your just not into it for whatever reason then the yoga s750/s740 is the best choice out of what you listed.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  5. bucerei

bucerei Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks man, I'll have a look if I can find the option you told me over here.

Nonetheless, the Yoga S740 looks nice, although there aren't many reviews on youtube/internet yet. Since I've been used to more "robust" machines, changing to these thin ultrabooks seems weird.. I don't know.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the Dell XPS 15 might be worth a look. You may find some better pricing in the Dell Euro Outlet, if you don't mind a return.

JRE84 likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    woah I forgot about the xps 15....yeah the xps 15 might be a better fit for you....either way the yoga or xps is a good match