14.1" is the "ideal" laptop screen size

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Peter7777, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter7777

Peter7777 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's taken me 12 years of laptop use to come to the not so obvious conclusion that a 14.1" screen is the "ideal" laptop size. I started out in 1993 with a 9 inch VGA screen which was way too small to display enough information. Then in 1997 I moved on to a 12 inch SVGA which was still too small although for the sake of portability 12 inches may be a fair compromise. Next stop was a 13.3 inch XGA in 2000 which was almost right but just a tad too small for comfortable viewing. Next to last in 2002 was a 15.1 inch UXGA which was too big and heavy. Besides that it was an energy hog. The final stop here in 2005 is a 14.1 XGA screen which fits the Goldilocks scenario of being not too small, not too big, but just right. It's the IBM T42 which is light, comfortable to read, energy efficient, and small enough to carry around with ease. The point of all this is to provide some insight from an old school laptop user to any newbies who may be trying to decide what size display to choose.

2. mwillman

mwillman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice post peter7777.

I am of the same mind although I went with the 14.1in Widescreen.

I have worked with computers professionally for 14 years now and I find the 14in size to be perfect for the on the go user. I like the 12 in models but thier keyboards tend to be to small. The 14in gives you the smallest screen with a full size keyboard and that means alot to a guy with big hands. :)

3. TheBaumer

TheBaumer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any thoughts on the merits of widescreen vs normal aspect.
    As far as I can tell:
    Normal: Better for Web, Word....Worse for DVDs, Games, and Excel.

Right?

4. mwillman

mwillman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally I like the widescreen for a few reasons.

1. It has about 25% more desktop space compared to a 4:3 aspect monitor of the same height.

2. You can watch widescreen DvD's without that annoying black line at the top and bottom.

3. you can keep two docs open without having to switch back and forth between them.

4. It allows for a full sized keyboard without having alot of wasted plastic around the monitor.

5. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    14.1" is a very good screen size, not too small not too big.

However, unfortunatly, alot of features are still limited to 15.4", so until then 15.4" for me :p

6. drumfu

drumfu super modfu

Reputations:
    way too personal of the thing to say

everybody wants something different

i use my wuxga 15.4" widescreen 7 days a week. i take it almost everywhere with me. i find that it's perfect. i personally hate having to scroll up/down just to see a full webpage or Word doc which i would have to do with an xga 14", but that's just me.

7. runninkyle17

runninkyle17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would have to agree that 14.1" is a good screen size. However, there are no 14" widescreen notebooks that have a powerful enough GPU for me (X700 128MB or above), so I am stuck looking at 15.4" widescreens and I am having a hard time finding one with high enough resolution and light form factor.

8. fishfood

fishfood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would definitely have to agree. My 14.1 inch widescreen is big enough to view webpages and DVDs, as well as being ideal for wordprocessing. At the same time it fits easily into all backpacks and briefcases.

9. queshy

queshy Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I like Widescreen, it's easier on the eyes after extended periods of time. 14" is the sweetspot, I agree.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd agree. I liked the size/weight of my old T41 better than the newrer T42. No Flexview on the 14" screen though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.